Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make visitors clean up?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

When you have guests at your house (parent and their children) and they get ready to leave, do you tell/ask them to clean? If they don't, do you tell the parents to have them clean??

I feel that this might be bad actually. I've stopped doing that. It's not my job to teach their kids how to clean up a mess. I've started telling my kids - "hey, if you're going to have Sally over, you're responsible for the mess you guys make"

And after the first few visits, I started hearing her say "Sally, we can't make such a mess. Let's clean this up." yadda yadda yadda.

Taught my kid a valuable lesson, imo.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
No but I do make my son clean his messes at people's houses
boysrjoys2
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
If their kid helped make the mess I ask that they help clean it up. I'll just say "okay kiddos time to pick up" and my friends encourage their kids to help. I've never had any problem my friends do the same thing at their house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Yes actually. I spend time cleaning before company arrives, if my family especially makes a mess, they need to clean it up.
Mish321
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

No. they are guests in my house. I have to feed them, entertain them, and clean after them. 

KGreen75
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  My children know when they have friends over, that they are soley responsible for any mess that is made.

If I had a dinner party, I don't tell my guests to scrap their plates into the garbage and do their own dishes.

PhoenixV
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Depends. If they leave garbage/dishes all over the floor and such, yes. If they are invited to dinner, we collect dishes all at once and put them in the sink, I don't make them wash them.

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

raefmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't ask my guest to clean up. It hasn't really been an issue, most of the parents make the kids clean up before they leave. Just like I make my kids clean up when we visit other people. 

lowencope
by ❤️Lucy 💋 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM
No I don't. A guest shouldn't have to. My mom usually helps when she's over though.
Lottie925
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Depends on the situation. My DDs friend and her play outside or at each others houses a lot. I leave the last few minutes for clean up. Because they're at a pile up sh*t phase. lol We just say, OK let's clean up the outside toys and make a game out of it. I don't make them clean up every little thing or if it's just a case of ... just leave already... lol - no need to drag it out.

More the bigg things that they made a mess of... stuff the dress up clothes back in the box, toss the outdoor toys back in the box so they don't get rained on.

VannaMae307
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I offer to do it for them and if they insist, I say "okay, go ahead" because I don't believe in back-and-forth over who is going to do what. I always have my son clean up his messes before we leave

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)