Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work Related - What to do? - very long ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Background: So I caretake, do maintenance, and work leasing at my apartments. I started at this property last October but have been with the company since August 2011. The apartments are student housing-dorm style, basically where they rent a bedroom and have a shared bathroom area, kitchen, and living room with 3 other people. My property manager started last November. She was new to our company and hasn't worked in the field for several years.

My property manager drives me up the wall! Not only does she drive me up the wall but our other leasing agent and secruity guy agree!

She doesn't know how to use a computer. She kept closing out the internet to get back to the desktop. I had to explain what the minimize bar was. She doesn't know how to use Microsoft anything, word, excel, outlook, anything what so ever. She is the property manager. How the hell does she get work done? The other leasing agent and I do it all for her! Or at least what we can. We only have limited computer access because we are not managers so we have to make step by step instructions for her to get anything done. And even then, she much rather just sit and talk to residents then do any work. I had my review last month and I got marked down because I don't let her do enough of the work...but later that day, she called me in to have me post on craigslist, check emails, and do late rent letters because she didn't know how. She is constantly making personal calls on the company cell phone. Calling her husband, needy daughter, druggy son, neighbors, and other personal business. She took a whole week to find new house insurance. Her dog was also missing for 2 days so nothing got done. She will sit and talk to residents and tell them way too much information. She tells them all other residents' business. She is the start of a lot of fights here. She will never answer the phone unless it is corporate. We used to open at 9:30am but she didn't want to come in that early so she changed the sign on the door to say 10am even though the web site still says 9:30. Even after that, she still doesn't get her until 10:30-11:00. It's almost 1:00pm and she still isn't in today because she "has been calling and paying bills all morning". The last 2 weeks, she has been sitting in the model apartment "working" and trying to get all of the move outs done from May. Whenever we go up there, she is eating, looking at Facebook (the only thing she knows about the computer), and listening to music. I have to reclean the model because she is messy. She isn't even supposed to be up there!! Ugh there is so much more but I don't want to write a novel.

I took the time to write an anonymous email to our corporate. I got a response saying that they would look into it and send me a reply. A month later I sent another email. They gave me a cookie cutter response and said that whenever they would call, they would get an answer or a call back. Well yeah, she is screening calls!

I am looking for another job but it is hard finding anything that pays enough. I want to talk to corporate about it but I am afraid of loosing my job. What do you think I should do? Sorry this is book length.

ETA: So last week I ended up writing a very long email to our disterict manager about my concerns with my boss. She replied almost immeadiatly saying she appreciated me coming forward and that we would talk at a later date. Well this last Wednesday my boss decided not to show up to work. The district called and we talked for a bit and she told me she was dealing with it. Well both of them were in yesterday and my boss got let go before we even opened the office up!

I feel bad for her as a person but she was not doing a good enough job at all.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I would make notes of what she's having you do, take pics, or whatever you need to so that when you call corp again, you have proof.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

There is no way in hell I would let my supervisor get away with all of that.  I would request that corporate do an unscheduled visit and hope they catch her in the act.

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I would document every time she comes late, whenever she is using the company cel for personal use, every time she goes to the model besides for showing it, every time you or anyone else has to do her work on the computer for her, take a picture of the changed hours, take pictures of the mess she makes in the model, everything. Then I would CALL corporate and either fax or send by certified mail all the evidence. Corporate will see that she is unfit for the position. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

She salary so there are no changed hours.

Quoting amberleh:

I would document every time she comes late, whenever she is using the company cel for personal use, every time she goes to the model besides for showing it, every time you or anyone else has to do her work on the computer for her, take a picture of the changed hours, take pictures of the mess she makes in the model, everything. Then I would CALL corporate and either fax or send by certified mail all the evidence. Corporate will see that she is unfit for the position. 

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I meant the changed office hours. Stuff like that usually has to get approval from corporate.

Quoting Anonymous:

She salary so there are no changed hours.

Quoting amberleh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)