Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with this class picture?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 123 Replies

2nd-grade class photo separates boy in wheelchair from his peers

Anne Belanger was heartbroken when she got the second-grade class photo for her son, Miles Ambridge. Miles, who has spinal muscular dystrophy, is seated in his wheelchair, noticeably separated from his peers, who are posed in three rows. Smiling, Miles leans way over in his chair. "Look at the angle that he was in," Belanger said. "He wants to be part of the gang so much." As for the 7-year-old's earnest smile, Miles' dad said, "It makes me feel even worse that he's so happy in the picture. … He's still naive to how other people can treat him." To make sure Miles' feelings aren't hurt, he hasn't been shown the photo. His father Don wants the school to request that the photography company retake a class portrait. The company has offered to reshoot the image, though the school has yet to comment on the controversy. Miles' mother also added that she didn't think the photo was done so as "a malicious act" but felt that the photographer didn't think rationally. I have to agree.

Thoughts?

http://now.msn.com/anne-belanger-mom-angry-that-class-photo-separates-son-in-wheelchair

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What did the parents want for him to be removed from his chair and placed on the bleachers?

bclassybutsassy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

:( poor guy. I would be the little girl would sit next to him regardless of what my teachers said. 

this part made me want to cry: "Look at the angle that he was in," Belanger said. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I see nothing wrong honestly that's the way my school did it
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

that makes me sad

why didn't they just shift everyone over to the right so he was right next to his peers?

maybe80
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I want to hug him!
PinkHart
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM
7 moms liked this
He's not seperated, he's sitting in the only space he could access with his chair. Mom's too sensitive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlliviasMommy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same thing, but sometimes with class pictures, the child in a wheelchair is placed front and center.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

What did the parents want for him to be removed from his chair and placed on the bleachers?

xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Well, they could have put him a little closer! 

ETA... I see the bleachers are in the way but, they could have put him in front of the teacher. 

Katt709
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

He can't possibly get any closer - the bleachers are preventing that. What did she want, for him to be removed from the chair and placed with them?

tecsabates
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe not that, but there is alot of room between him and the bleachers. They could have put him much closer. My friends son is in a wheelchair and they put him right next to the bleachers and the other kids. You can barely tell he's not on the bleachers with them.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: What did the parents want for him to be removed from his chair and placed on the bleachers?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)