Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you "handy"?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 54 Replies
Are you a "handy Andy?"? Do you do yard work, use power tools, know how to fix a broken toilet? I'm curious, because I am and it doesn't seem like most women I know are. I've fixed toilets, garbage disposals, built garden beds, changing electrical switches and outlets. My crowning glory is saving us about $600 by replacing a garbage disposal all on my own with a little help from YouTube. It doesn't seem like most ladies do this stuff. My dh laughs at me and says I'm a total tomboy till you toss a ball at me. It's true, I shriek and cringe. I don't want to get hit in the face!! Lol! Any way- do y'all do this stuff?

*EDIT*
Wow!! It's SO cool how many of you are good at this sort of stuff! Those of you with daughters are so lucky that they'll grow up with mama's who can teach them self sufficiency!
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Hufflepuff on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

No, but I'm good with my hand for other things *giggle*

curlycupcake
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Lol- yeah me too! ;)-

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

No, but I'm good with my hand for other things *giggle*

Mommy2ETnBM
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I fixed more things in my house than my ex husband ever did. If I want to learn how to fix something, I youtube it or google it. I've never been brave enough to try and work with the electrical or anything though. Just minor things. I also do yardwork, cut down trees with the chainsaw, mow, and use power tools :P  And I am as girly as they come. When you have a lazy ex husband, if you don't learn how to do it, it won't get done.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Lol, not so much! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I am definitely not.  I know how to yell for my husband really well, though.

cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I'm handy. But if my man's around he can do it. The kids won't stop climbing me. When they're older ill be right there with him. We do now and weed eat together.
macysmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I changed the batteries on the air thermostat once and thought I was pretty handy. That's about as far as I go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlycupcake
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I don't have a lazy hubby. I do have a hubby who was raised with nannies, maids, and handymen on call to fix stuff. He's about as handy as a rock. Lol. But I grew up helping my folks do home repairs. I took shop in high school. That stuff's fun to play with!

Quoting Mommy2ETnBM:

I fixed more things in my house than my ex husband ever did. If I want to learn how to fix something, I youtube it or google it. I've never been brave enough to try and work with the electrical or anything though. Just minor things. I also do yardwork, cut down trees with the chainsaw, mow, and use power tools :P  And I am as girly as they come. When you have a lazy ex husband, if you don't learn how to do it, it won't get done.

CarolinaGirl88
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I'm fairly handy. All the tools we own are ones that I've bought (power drill and bits, screwdrivers, hammer, nothig too fancy just the usual). I love putting stuff like bew furniture together. My crowning acheivement was fixing the electrical cord on my treadmill.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Yes, I am a project manager for a construction company. So I have learned how to do a lot of things on the job sites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)