Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lowest tip you've given?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 86 Replies
I gave a 1.40$ tip today during lunch. The bill was $25. Our waiter sucked. He came by 3 seperate times within 5 minutes of us siting down to ask if we were ready to order yet, all three times we had our noses in the menu obviously not ready. Then he completely forgot about our table after dropping off the receipt and walked by multiple times without looking at me or at the table to see we were ready to pay. Finally I had to waive down the bartender and get him to finish checking us out because my husbands lunch break was very nearly over and the waiter was in the back goofing off talking with the other staff. My husband was upset I gave such a little tip (he used to wait tables as well) but agreed with me the guy's service was way off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

They deserved.nothing
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I've never given less than a 20% tip, even with questionable service, but if it were ever really bad I would. I just haven't encountered anything yet, that would leave me walking out of the restaurant livid, if I had, the tip would be 0 and a comment to management.

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM
9 moms liked this

Not me but my husband left $0.01 once.  His reasoning is if you leave nothing it looks like you just forgot, but with a penny you are making a point.

Idntreallycare
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've always given a few dollars, usually at least 10% for bad service, 20% or more for good service. 

you were annoyed that he was too attentive at the beginning and he probably picked up on it. That's probably why he stopped coming as often. Also, with lunch breaks, they usually come by more if they can because they know people are in a hurry. As for him taking his time for the check, maybe he didn't see that you had taken care of it. Usually I move the check to the edge of the table so they can see it has been moved and that we are ready to pay.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Ditto.I've worked as a server before.I know when someone is just having an off day and when they just suck at their job.I tip well when you deserve it but I will also leave no tip when you deserve it :)

Quoting sandra_t00:

They deserved.nothing

lexiloo714
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
The change to round out my total to an even dollar amount.
lnrmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

one penny, and a note on the back of the receipt.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

$2.  I always tip regardless if it was horrible or excellent.  The amount however is based on service.  Between me & my aunt we've left as high as 50$ together.

Pushthruthepain
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this
$0.The guy kept making lewd comments to his fellow waiter in Spanish.My friend while blond and blue eyed was from Mexico.We reported him and got our food for free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM
ive left zero.

We went to applebees. it took 30 minutes for my food. (my friend got hers) My order was wrong and I don't mean "requested no cheese and got cheese.' it was literally the wrong order. waited another 20 minutes. got my food, and it was wrong (ordered steak fajitas, got chicken). at that point i was pissed. i asked for my bill. left zero tip with a complaint
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)