Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible to get a decent paying job with only a HS diploma?

Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies

Question: Can you make good money today with only a HS diploma?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

When I say decent, I mean one where you can fully support yourself.  Maybe in some places this is possible, but I live in an area where there are more college degrees(compared to other parts of the country)  If you make good money with a HS diploma only, what do you do? Did you get your job recently or have you had it a long time? Most people I know with HS only have been in their jobs a long time(long before the economy crashed).

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband only has a HS diploma, & he is a photographer for Lifetouch. Used to be for Olan Mills until Lifetouch bought them out. He travels a lot, but he makes decent money for our part of the country. I am able to be a SAHM to our 3 kids & we are looking now to buy a house. Oh, & we are not on any kind of public assistance. We have a van payment right now, & smartphones, no cable tv but that is our choice. We are not living in luxury but have more than we need.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM
My mom did, she's a mortgage underwriter.

My husband did too, but he also has prior military service. He's going back to school though.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

In our area, yes you can.  My husband has a job at a factory making truck bumpers and he makes more than enough to support us, we own our own house and while we don't have everything that we want we do have everything that we need plus some of our wants.  That being said we don't live in an area with a high cost of living.  

by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

My hubs does, he is a wherehouse worker. It depends what you are willing/able to do and yes where you live. here it is possible. He supports us on his own.

by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I am in school currently, but don't have my degree yet. I've only been in my current job for about a year, but I've been with my company longer. I'm in a professional position with a Fortune 500 company. I make plenty to pay all of our bills.

DH doesn't have his degree (also in school) either. He just got a promotion with a large increase. He makes slightly less than I do but still good money.

Neither of us knew what we wanted to do after high school. He thought he did, but failed a class because he was being a 20 year old dude and quit. Turns out, he probably wouldn't have liked that anyway. I had no clue. We both have found what we love doing and are pursuing appropriate educations. More money will follow that.

It's not something I encourage people to do and I intend for my children to go to college. However, it shouldn't be used as an excuse to live a menial existence.

by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Where I live, it's possible. The cost of living is extremely low, so I make a really good living on $10 an hour. That's not a "good living" by most standards, but here it is more than enough money to support myself and my family. I even own my home.

I have been at my job for 5 years, but I've only gotten one raise in that time. I work as a secretary for a buffalo rancher. I do accounting, data entry, filing, answer phones...pretty much anything he needs done. I am his right-hand "man". Without me, he wouldn't know what to do. lol so there's a certain amount of job security there as well.

by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I'm a paralegal.  Started when I was 19.  My last job I made $54K a year.  This job I only make $40K, but my responsibilities are less and it is only 35 hours a week.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My husband supports his family of four, soon-to-be five, on a high school diploma. He works for the county.

by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

DH only has his diploma and he's now a supervisor for the county's 911 center.  He's been there 15 years now and his job allows me to be a SAHM to our 2 girls.  

by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM
My dh only had a high school diploma and works on a Dredge boat making over a 100 k a year
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)