Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I ignore my ds

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
When hes throwing a tantrum. He's four so they still come at regular intervals throughout the day. I just don't see the point of getting myself all riled up it doesn't usually last too long and unless he's being destructive I just let it run it's course. Normally I just say "sorry I don't speak angryneise so when your ready to talk to me like bailey again I'll be (insert wherever I will be)" usually I'll go play with the baby. Get that baby to laugh and bailey will pretty much come running cause that's his job. Hope I'm not screwing him up too much.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillysnow
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't believe you're screwing him up Lol he'll be fine. I agree that ignoring a tantrum IS WAY better that crawling their asses and it saves your own energy.

Quoting MsEmma88:

When hes throwing a tantrum. He's four so they still come at regular intervals throughout the day. I just don't see the point of getting myself all riled up it doesn't usually last too long and unless he's being destructive I just let it run it's course. Normally I just say "sorry I don't speak angryneise so when your ready to talk to me like bailey again I'll be (insert wherever I will be)" usually I'll go play with the baby. Get that baby to laugh and bailey will pretty much come running cause that's his job. Hope I'm not screwing him up too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
model1000mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I ignore my DS's tantrums also and he is 3. I have 5 children and have done the same with all of them...none of them are ruined LOL

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If we are at home my daughter who is five gets ignored. 

If we are in public, she is warned three times to knock it off, after the second time we are in the bathroom with a stern talking too. 

After that if she doesn't start acting right we leave. I don't care where we are, and she does it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I ignor my 4 year old son Rocket's tantrums too. Don't worry.

KrissyKC
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

There comes a time, though, when you consider starting to discipline.   I'm not saying I know when that point should be or that I'm wonder woman who knows all and sees all....

But... what I DO know is that sitting at a table in the mall eating our food, and along comes a lady with a child having a tantrum.  She sits him at the only avail table (behind us) and he screamed bloody murder for 15-20 minutes, then switched to all out wailing about what he wants and didn't get.

Our kids were finally done eating and we left.   It was pretty rude, and the kid was about 5...   I think there comes a time when discipline is needed.

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

That's how you're supposed to deal with it. But I would add that my rule was I don't even want to see the tantrums, if you are throwing a fit, take it to your room. No tantrums allowed in common areas like living room, kitchen, etc. I don't want to see it, hear it, nothing. Go away to do it, come back when you're human.

Owl_Feather
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

ignoring them is in my opinion, the best way to handle them. Every child is different and it doesnt work for everyone. But it sure did when DS was younger! When I tried calming him down it just made them worse. He's already a sensitive little guy. So I learned to just ignore him, let him cool down, THEN talk to him at his level. Most times it worked and we moved on with our day.

reizenskitty
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

she should have brought him to the car,I was 3 months pregnant when my niece threw a tantrum in the store i lifted her butt over my shoulder and went to the car till my husband was done shopping with my son.

Quoting KrissyKC:

There comes a time, though, when you consider starting to discipline.   I'm not saying I know when that point should be or that I'm wonder woman who knows all and sees all....

But... what I DO know is that sitting at a table in the mall eating our food, and along comes a lady with a child having a tantrum.  She sits him at the only avail table (behind us) and he screamed bloody murder for 15-20 minutes, then switched to all out wailing about what he wants and didn't get.

Our kids were finally done eating and we left.   It was pretty rude, and the kid was about 5...   I think there comes a time when discipline is needed.

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Oh he does get discipline. There is no way in HELL I would allow my kid to act like that in public. I was more referring to run of the mill tantrums at home. I've sat in the car with my kiddo many a time while the rest of them family finishes whatever we are doing. Even took him straight out of line for a roller coaster because he refused to behave.

Quoting KrissyKC:

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Thank goodness it works for us too. I can't afford for the entire house to cease working simply because he wants to watch super why but won't earn it. Lol

Quoting Owl_Feather:

ignoring them is in my opinion, the best way to handle them. Every child is different and it doesnt work for everyone. But it sure did when DS was younger! When I tried calming him down it just made them worse. He's already a sensitive little guy. So I learned to just ignore him, let him cool down, THEN talk to him at his level. Most times it worked and we moved on with our day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)