Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A gay kiss quiets a preachers hate filled sermon

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

A YouTube video showing two gay San Luis Obispo college students kissing to silence an anti-gay preacher at Cal Poly has gone viral — bringing mostly praise but also threats to the pair. 

The clip shows a woman — identified as Angela Cummings by a witness — preaching to a group of students at the University Union Plaza when she is interrupted by two men who begin to kiss beside her. After their kiss, the watching crowd cheers and the female preacher eventually walks away.

Anthony Lopez, 21, a Cuesta College student, and Kyle Murray, 21, a Cal Poly junior, decided to kiss on the spot after they had listened to what they both described as homophobic and hateful preaching.

“When I went outside, I was just, like, mad listening to what she was saying because of all the hate she was saying,” said Murray, who was working that day at Ciao!, a nearby restaurant.

Soon after walking outside to see what was going on, Murray ran into his best friend, Lopez. For a few moments, the two looked on as the woman preached against gay marriage, among other things.

“There’s not really a whole lot anyone can do. She has the right to do that,” Lopez recalled thinking as he watched.

Then, Lopez said, Murray asked, “Wanna make out?”

Lopez replied: “That would literally make my day.”

Murray said Cummings was just starting to preach about her support for Chick-fil-A and traditional marriage when he and Lopez kissed.

“I honestly expected her to start praying at us,” Lopez said. “She went silent, and she just stood there and remained quiet until we were done.” 

The two men said they had a friend video record the kiss but never planned for it to go viral. They’d hoped to keep it to themselves.

“We weren’t doing this for some sensational video. I had no idea it was going to go viral,” Murray said.

But someone in the crowd posted it to YouTube.

Now the two are getting a lot of exposure including on websites such as Gawker and The Huffington Post

“We’re definitely getting a lot of attention, good and bad,” Lopez said.

The bad has included death threats. One message on Lopez’s Facebook page simply read: “Die f - - - - -  die. You should stay in the closet.”  

“I’m really proud that we did it, and I definitely would have done it again,” Lopez said. “There’s no regret of doing that.”  

Cummings, who was identified as the woman Murray saw preaching, did not reply to requests for comment. 

But her website, run by Highways and Hedges Ministries Inc., of which she is president, has numerous YouTube clips of her preaching, including a 2012 clip in San Francisco the day before the gay pride parade in which she calls gays “fruitcakes” and children of the devil. Cummings, from Tennessee, describes herself as a street preacher who travels the country spreading the word of God by preaching to whomever will listen. 

The Huffington Post reported Cummings posted an update on her Facebook page Friday acknowledging she was preaching that day at Cal Poly: “2 videos are up by Cal Poly students of ‘homo phobe’ preacher. It has just a matter of time before that came out on video. It was in writing long time ago. The video still got me preaching ‘Jesus will set you free’ before all that happened. Oh how the devil loves his slaves. Jesus set them free!!!!! … *Today is Israel gay pride. That saddens me. Sorry Jesus.”

Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/06/09/2539737/kiss-quiets-anti-gay-preacher.html#fb#storylink=cpy

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ACDC_fan
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

AWESOME!!!

blues_pagan
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump!  Especially for the member who disliked seeing a gay couple kiss in public at a restraunt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Gross

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Funny!
skittlefart
by Taste the Rainbow on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

hawt. 

Caitlyn photo PrettyinPunkCaitlyn_zpse603050a.png
 photo 1229146b-c39c-45cc-9735-750e9bc6cc4b_zps5c77fd98.jpg
blues_pagan
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Is it gross because they are gay or do you just not like PDA?

Quoting Anonymous:

Gross

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Love!

BellaByrdie
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Wooooo Gooo on with it.  

God will set you free.  And frankly I believe he sent that little message to her himself.   She is the devils slave.  Preaching hatred for gods creation. 

blues_pagan
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)