Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD and ODD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Any one able to give me some info on these?

ADHD and oppositional defiance disorder.

DS (6) had some psych tests done and the therapist says he has both disorders. I am NOT medicating for them. Just want some info. Anon because I know some people think these aren't real and I don't want people jumping on me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Annabel1809Lee
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

My son has ADHD. We chose to medicate when he started kindergarten because he could barely function at home, let alone at school. Not listening to instructions, acting impulsively, constant uncontained destructive energy. If it effects daily function I highly recommend medicating. My son likes his meds- they help him control himself, think before doing, and listen. (His words, not mine.) 

He was started on Ritalin 10 mg, 4 hr doses. When kindergarten started (and he grew) we moved him up to 20mg, 8 hr dose, which he is still on. He'll probably be bumping up by the end of the year, kid grows so fast.

Anything in particular you want to know? 

hunnybunny2001
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM
My oldest has also been diagnosed with both..I do not medicate my dd was diagnosed at 6yrs.. she's now 12 and is growing out of it.. it will go away with age and maturity imo and in her case
momwith2monkeys
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM
My son has both pm and i will give you more info
other_mother
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and DH has ADHD. We are questioning the diagnosis of ADHD in our son because the medication does absolutely nothing. His difficulties stem from social situations and he actually fits in more with the ASD descriptions. I'm not pretending to be a doctor, but something more is going on than ADHD.

DH struggled all throughout school. You can tell by his grades and school reports that he was unmedicated throughout school. His mother believed more in behavioral interventions than she did medication. It is something that DH really wishes she had looked into further.

He has spent part of our married life medicated and part unmedicated. It's shocking the difference when he is medicated. He is a SAHD. Unmedicated the house was always cluttered. He would never finish one task so even though he was cleaning all day, he was unable to make it look as if he had done anything. He had the same problem while in school. He was unable to focus long enough to complete any assignments. He would sit down and work, but he couldn't concentrate. When he is unmedicated, his self confidence plummets and he starts to feel worthless.

On medication, he is confident and successful. At house cleaning. At whatever he determines he is going to do for that day. I can honestly say that the medication makes a serious difference with him, and lack of effort is never a problem when he is unmedicated. He just cannot make himself focus long enough to accomplish anything.

I'm not sure whether that made much sense. I was interrupted a lot while typing it. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest had both.  It's really, really hard to deal with the ODD part of it.  Nothing works with those kids - you could put them in an empty room with nothing but a mattress on the floor for timeout, and it wouldn't faze them because they'll just go off in their imaginations for however long you leave them in there.  I didn't medicate ours either, I insisted on behavioral therapy, which helped a little, but we still wen through hell with the schools, and he got kicked out a lot.  We also had to keep everything in our house locked up the entire time he was growing up because he would take it and give it away or sell it to get money to buy crap with.  Refused to do anything he was asked, not even the simplest chores, and didn't really care if we took away privileges because he would just do what he wanted to do anyway.  It was awful.  Also, be prepared for people who have NO CLUE what it's like to raise such a child to call you every name in the book from abusive and neglectful to lazy and uncaring.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I've been told that he's just spoiled and that if I were a better mom he wouldn't be like this.

He's so STUBBORN and defiant at times that I want to tear my hair out! And has been since the day he knew who he was.

For potty training, he could do it if he wanted to. He'd do it for treats if he wanted one. It wasn't til I told him he COULD NOT go to preschool if he didn't.

There's times I'm just at my wit's end :(

FlyingHottie
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

My 5 year old has ADHD. We are on biphentin a 1 a day pill. Works great..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM

How do you deal with the defiance outbursts? I can handle the hyper with activity but he just gets something in his head to be stubborn about and I just get so frustrated with it.

Quoting hunnybunny2001:

My oldest has also been diagnosed with both..I do not medicate my dd was diagnosed at 6yrs.. she's now 12 and is growing out of it.. it will go away with age and maturity imo and in her case

hunnybunny2001
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Its really not easy.. its very hard.. I put her in sports took her to parks to get her extra energy out.. the out bursts are still hard but she's still in counseling. We do work shops together threw counseling. Its a lot of work and very frustrating but consistency with punishments helps a lot.. if my dd has a very disrespectful out burst there are consequences. She knows it..

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you deal with the defiance outbursts? I can handle the hyper with activity but he just gets something in his head to be stubborn about and I just get so frustrated with it.

Quoting hunnybunny2001:

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM
My son has both. We medicate. He wouldn't be able to function without the meds.

I find when he has a melt down it's best to walk away and let him calm himself down . Otherwise he only gets angrier. However he does not get away with doing bad things because of this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)