Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 year old son fighting.....

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 19 Replies
This is hurting me so bad.
My son always plays with the little neighborhood kids. One of them has an older brother. I have instructed him that if the older boy and his friends are around he is to come home. Mt other rule is that he is to play in the front yard only. If he wants to play inside or in a backyard he needs to tell me.
Anyways, my SO saw that the older boys were outside so he went to go tell my son to come inside. When he got closer he saw my son and the other little boy his age fighting in the middle of a circle with the older boys cheering them on and giving them "tips". Of course, SO immediately pulled my son off of the other boy. The other boy had a bloody nose.
After talking to the little boys (seperately) we figured out the older ones put them up to it and are placing bets. Wtf who does that?
What is the appropriate course of action? I already went and talked to the boys mother. But I honestly don't even know the other boys' parents. I am raging mad that my sweet boy would do something like this. I cannot believe it. Ugh. I understand he wants to be "cool", but he completely disobeyed me and he hurt another child in the process.
Like I said... this is very sensitive for me. Please be kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Sorry about typos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM
No advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

bump, i honestly do not know what i would do in that situation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

ummmm boys fight..he should get in trouble but I dont see this as a huge deal

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM
This was not simply boys fighting. They didn't even want to fight. The older boys coerced them. That is not right. Even if it was simply boys just fighting this would not fly with me. It's is not ok to put your hands on another.

Quoting Anonymous:

ummmm boys fight..he should get in trouble but I dont see this as a huge deal

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

punishment and call the cops those kids need to be taught a real lesson also find out the other kids parents names

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the bump

Quoting ksueditz:

bump, i honestly do not know what i would do in that situation. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaronSamedi
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Look fighting is normal.  Start him in martial arts.  learning how to not be influenced but you cannot over protect.  It is better to set a little less strict boundaries.  He will grow up you know.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Fighting isn't normal. And I will not tolerate him hurting another child. I could see if it was self defense. But where people get this "boys will be boys" mentality I cannot figure out. Fighting is stupid. Especially fighting without reason.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Look fighting is normal.  Start him in martial arts.  learning how to not be influenced but you cannot over protect.  It is better to set a little less strict boundaries.  He will grow up you know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Punish him...regardless if the older boys egged them on or not..he is 7 and knew your rules...he would be grounded to the house for 1 week with no friends or electronics...he made the choice to fight instead of coming hone he is at fault for his own actions
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)