Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it wrong to be sad??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I really wanted to have a baby shower for this baby ( its my second and he's a boy, first was a girl), but unfortunately that's not going to happen. With DD I had a very small one with my three family members (5 years ago). This time I don't have any family and we just moved again a year ago ( we're military). So I don't have a lot of friends here, and none of them are going to throw a shower.

It just sucks, I've always wanted to have a fun shower with friends. I had really good friends at our last duty station and I know they would have thrown one and they would have been fun!! I would throw it myself but I know that's considered rude and tacky. So I'm going to have a mini baby shower cake made and make a nice dinner with just myself, DH and DD. That will be how we celebrate his arrival. I feel like he deserves some kind of celebration at the very least.

I know a lot of people don't care about showers but I believe every baby should be celebrated. We don't need gifts or anything, I already purchased most of what I need.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

So throw a party yourself. Do not call it a shower. Call it a baby is coming last hurrah.  Invite friends. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
No, not wrong to be sad
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I hear ya. I had both my SILs and my MIL here when I was pregnant...no shower for me. I never said anything about it but I was bummed. I would have done it for dh's sisters in a heartbeat...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
That's sort of what we did for our first. It was a last big BBQ before the baby came. It was awesome, I hate traditional baby showers.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

So throw a party yourself. Do not call it a shower. Call it a baby is coming last hurrah.  Invite friends. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

my mil was supposed to throw me one,but had a serious car accident.honestly,i didnt mind,i dont like a lot of people anyway,and i hate baby shower games.everyone ended up seeing the baby after he was born and bringing a gift.thats a lot better in my opinion,maybe some people like baby showers,but i think theyre dumb.

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

You could do a Skype shower to celebrate. Have everyone make a small dessert to eat with you, and chat. It would be fun.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We did it with our first as well. We had a good friend who owns this really cool bohemian wine bar, and we had it there. Catered with chinese food. It was so fun.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

That's sort of what we did for our first. It was a last big BBQ before the baby came. It was awesome, I hate traditional baby showers.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

i d idnt have a shower for my second child.  its just not really done in my family.  oh well  :)

liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
That does sound awesome. Hey, OP, why don't you have your hubby invite the people he works with and their spouses for a BBQ or something to celebrate the new baby. You could meet some new people and celebrate your new babe :-)

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

We did it with our first as well. We had a good friend who owns this really cool bohemian wine bar, and we had it there. Catered with chinese food. It was so fun.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SKM1119
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I think that is a great idea! 

Quoting ImNotKarl:

You could do a Skype shower to celebrate. Have everyone make a small dessert to eat with you, and chat. It would be fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)