Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Misconceptions about Plan B

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

This emergency birth control has been available to survivors of sexual assault since the 60s.  I received it in 1987 after I was raped, long before it was approved by the FDA in 1998..  This is NOT something that is new.  Many women have safely taken it for many years. I would not hesitate for a moment to take it again or give it to my dd in case she needed it.  I was just reading posts from people thinking it is new, no, it is not. The only thing new about it is that it is now OTC.  You used to need a prescription.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't hesitate to use it and I would gladly buy it for my daughters if they had the need. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

And... there is absolutely no freakin' reason for it to cost $50, either!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I've heard it wont prevent a pregnancy if you are already pregnant, but it doesn't make sense if its not to prevent pregnancy what's it for?
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM
It prevents ovulation, which in turn prevents pregnancy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've heard it wont prevent a pregnancy if you are already pregnant, but it doesn't make sense if its not to prevent pregnancy what's it for?
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM
If you're already pregnant how do you prevent pregnancy?
It will not terminate a pregnancy that is already implanted. The purpose is to stop ovulation, thicken the cervical mucous and thin the uterine lining.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laura_simss
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I have never used it but I would if I needed too 

michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I thought it prevents implantation in case you are already ovulating.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Going anon here because I know I'm going to be called an idiot. Here goes...

When I was 38 and newly single I was in a pretty new relationship (sexually) I had known him as friend for many years. Well, needless to say we were doing it like bunnies and the condom broke. I realized I was in my fertile time and even though I thought I was too old to conceive we went to Planned parenthood to get the morning after pill. They said it was good for 5 days so we thought we were protected for 5 days. Therefore we continued to have sex. I went to get the Mirena on the day my period was due and to my surprise I was pregnant!

I'm assuming when they said it was good for 5 days they meant up to 5 days after you have had sex. IDK?

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM
It prevents a pregnancy from happening, doesn't abort an egg that's met the sperm.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I've used it before and i would give it to dd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)