Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"African-American" "German-American" etc

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think of it?

Options:

Stupid

I think it's being proud of who you are

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

I was just reading the Africa post, and I was just wondering what your opinion on this was. People who have ancestry from somewhere, but they were born, and raised in America, and so were their parents and grandparents, but they are still for example "French-American" I personally don't have any strong thoughts on it, I really think it's sort of ridiculous in a way. Only one of my grandparents was American, all the others were from southern Europe, but I was born in raised in America so I've always considered myself "American" I know that I'm southern European, I look Mediterranean, I speak the languages of my grandparents, etc, but I've always known that I'm "American" because I was born, raised, and will probably die here. I've never said I'm "Greek-American" "Italian-American "Portuguese American" but I have a friend that just has a French last name, "I'm French-American" 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

BUMP!

MomToDarienne
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

BUMP!

TaughtTot
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

African American came to be a term because Black stemmed from Negro, Negro stemmed from Ni@@er.   That's all it is. I'm always wondering how much education people have when they get their panties in a bunch about it.

casseopeia
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I still use the term black because not all people who are very dark are of African heritage.  And if you go back far enough, we are ALL from Africa.

CarolinaGirl88
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I'm mostly German. My grandma grew up there and my mom was born there and traveled there a lot growing up. Thanks to the Army I was born there too. Because I've spent the most time with my mom and her family, there's a lot of German influence in my life. I don't think I've ever referred to myself as a German-American though. I was raised in America, so regardless of what else I've got going on, I'm American. However, if someone were to ask me what my background was I'd tell them that I'm mostly German.

FrozenReesesCup
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I'm just American

Eta:
my mom is aa
Dad is Irish
xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I think the people that use terms like "German American" are generally well their families have only been here a generation or 2 or 3. My family is only 2nd generation here so yes I call myself Puerto Rican American.

tharealty2
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I think there's a reason you have to have a more evident sense of heritage when your heritage has been stolen from you.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I have all sorts of nationalities-I'm a mutt

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I am of 100% Irish heritage and yes, I do consider myself to be an Irish-American, My husband's parents were both 100% Italian and he considers himself to be an Italian-American. Our children are mixed, they are Irish/Italian Americans and call themselves that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)