Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling & Social Interaction

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 43 Replies
I'd like to preface this by saying that I do not have a child in school; she's only 2. The issue I raise is a sincere one for me.

The hubs and I are leaning towards home schooling DD. My biggest reservation has to do with social skills.

Whereas it is true that home schooled children have social interaction with others, my concern is that it is/will be always when one, or both, parents are around.

If you home school, when does your child have an opportunity to be put in the deep end of the pool, as it were, without mom & dad hanging around?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yes, all the time.  I prefer to let her teachers teach and coaches coach.

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You home school?

Quoting Tal0n:

Yes, all the time.  I prefer to let her teachers teach and coaches coach.

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Bump
Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I was homeschooled (I'm not homeschooling yet). But from the time my siblings and I were old enough to; we were in rec sports and 4h; so we received a lot of social interation with both peers; and adults. We also attended awanas and youth groups at our church and participated in scouts. Then of course there were playdates. The only things my parents really were right there for were our animal exhibitions, our sports games, and award nights. So we received a lot of interaction without mom and dad right there.
BestestMom11
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
That is good, and relieves my mind a little. I was told by someone that home school children still have "field trips", but I am not sure if the parents are expected to be there during the outing.

I just done want dd to grow up and not know how to function well when the parents aren't around. Does that even make sense?

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I was homeschooled (I'm not homeschooling yet). But from the time my siblings and I were old enough to; we were in rec sports and 4h; so we received a lot of social interation with both peers; and adults. We also attended awanas and youth groups at our church and participated in scouts. Then of course there were playdates. The only things my parents really were right there for were our animal exhibitions, our sports games, and award nights. So we received a lot of interaction without mom and dad right there.

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a question, and I'm jst trying to clarify where you might be coming from. What difference does it make if the parents are there or not? I'm just not sure why youre asking it this way. I homeschool, BTW.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally understand. Honestly; its a lot easier to make sure your child is socialized than most think. Sports programs, scouts, dance/art/music lessons, playdates.

And depending on how the homeschool group you are in is set up; many times it functions like a regular school; a few, not all parents go.

Good luck :)

Quoting BestestMom11:

That is good, and relieves my mind a little. I was told by someone that home school children still have "field trips", but I am not sure if the parents are expected to be there during the outing.

I just done want dd to grow up and not know how to function well when the parents aren't around. Does that even make sense?

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I have an associate whose child was home schooled, and his mother was always with him. On the few occasions that she wasn't hovering, I'd see him watching for her out of the corner of his eye, and he would behave differently. Very bratty. But when she was there, just as nice and polite as can be.

Of course, I don't know the reasons for this. It may have absolutely nothing to do with her always being around, or home schooling. But he's about 13 years old now, and has zero friends. No one can stand to be around him. He thinks the world revolves around him, he's obnoxious, and outspoken. Perhaps if mama wasn't always around, he'd have experienced displeasure from his peers at an earlier age and would have learned that his behavior was unacceptable. Truthfully, he probably would have gotten his butt kicked in 3rd grade. Not necessarily the best way to handle it, but I think kids learn valuable lessons from their interactions with each other on the playground and in the halls at school. Hope that makes sense.

Quoting Leissaintexas:I have a question, and I'm jst trying to clarify where you might be coming from. What difference does it make if the parents are there or not? I'm just not sure why youre asking it this way. I homeschool, BTW.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It isn't true at all. We homeschooled our kids up until this last year. We were always on the go. Field trips, co-ops and just fun outings. They were always surrounded by kids and adults of all ages.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

All the time.  DD1 is 11 years old and has been homeschooled/privately tutored all along.  She's got a bunch of friends and they socialize without hovering parents.  She and her friends are better socialized than a lot of traditionally schooled kids I've met, who seem to only be able to comprehend or enjoy the company of their same-aged peers.  The homeschooled kids I know have a much wider range and can hold their own with peers, younger kids and adults.  

From our experience, I think the "socialization" worry is pure bunk.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)