Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GIFT FOR MY 5 YEAR OLD.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

Okay ladies. I need advice on what to get my daughter for her birthday. She's turning 5. My husband is hellbent on getting her an iPad mini. Because she knows how to work my iPad and when she tries to play with his Motorola zoom, she can't get around how to use it.

i don't want to spend the money on an iPad mini, they are over 300 dollars and very breakable. She's always taking mine out of its case, and she has cracked it. I would rather get her a kiddy tablet, like a nabi 2. My friends kids have those and they arnt very gentle with them at all, and they are in tact. But dh says that it's an android and she can't work an android. What should I do? Should I get her the iPad and a otterbox/defender case? Her birthday is in like 3 weeks so I have to make a decision about it soon. If your kids have a tablet .. What kind do they have and has it heald up okay, is it easy for them to use?

and please don't respond with ... Getting a tablet for a 5 year old is stupid, or suggestions for other gifts. She has plenty of toys, I'm just trying to get her something nice that she can watch Netflix on.

another option is a smart tv. Like a 30". I just want something she can watch her shows on.

suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM

BUMP!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I got nothing, I am one of the people who doesnt believe a five year old needs an ipad
itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I am in love with my mini! If I could get one for my kids, I would in a heartbeat. Dh has a regular sized one, and he got a case called life proof. Literally makes the thing indestructible, waterproof, too. Pricey, but well worth it. My kids all have very inexpensive android tablets, off brand. Don't waste your money on those, they are soooo slow and very limited capabilities. The kids (Nambi) sound good, but will outgrow so fast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I know she doesn't need it .. But I'm one of those people who think its not going to hurt for her to have one.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I got nothing, I am one of the people who doesnt believe a five year old needs an ipad

itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Oh, and they are awesome for Netflix!! We had Comcast for our cable at one point, I was able to down load their app and watch tv. I was also able to download movies from Comcast, and watch them when I was in in wi if areas. Awesome for road trips!!
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

This.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

lulalacroix
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think kids spend too much time on electronics.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My daughter is a pro on an iPad, lol. I've had mine for a year and a half, but she is its primary user. LOL. it has more dress up games than anything.

Quoting itzmyzoo:

I am in love with my mini! If I could get one for my kids, I would in a heartbeat. Dh has a regular sized one, and he got a case called life proof. Literally makes the thing indestructible, waterproof, too. Pricey, but well worth it. My kids all have very inexpensive android tablets, off brand. Don't waste your money on those, they are soooo slow and very limited capabilities. The kids (Nambi) sound good, but will outgrow so fast.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Who cares if she knows how to work your ipad, my daughter knows how to work my iphone. 

Doesn't mean she is getting one. Nor would she be getting a nabi 2 or a children's tablet. 

That is what is wrong with the children today. 

What happened to playing outside and using imagination?

Me and hubs were just talking about this, I was like I didn't have a TV in my room til I was 17, and didn't get a phone until I had a job and was paying for it myself. And my biggest toy was a two story talking doll house. 

Other then that, I was shocker 

OUTSIDE using my imagination. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)