Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? S/O of the autistic boy's mother who yelled at another mom...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Since everyone is complaining about  a 2 YEAR OLD I figured I'd ask you all wwyd in this situation.

I belong to a group of people that goes out on occasion to a specific place to eat and have a couple of drinks.  It's a club that does various activities. One thing we do is go to a place to play board games and dominos.  Anyone we have a particular member who talks loudly and has this high pitched annoying laugh. Usually we have a room but on the last occasion they sat with the other patrons.  I understand from another member that the group went out-I was not present-and there were complaints from other tables about this woman.  Since it was a Cheers type of bar I assume that there were no mothers of autistic children there, lol. But a member fears we will not be able to play there if there are more complaints.  I think we should politely speak to this woman but the other member does not want to do that.  So...what would you all do?  And it does go to show it isn't only 2 year olds and autistic kids that cause a disturbance....lol.

Edit: So after reading all the responses I have  to ask: what is the difference between a well behaved 2 year old who happens to be a bit loud and a 45 year old woman who is speaking loudly with a loud laugh, possibly disturbing other patrons?  This has to do with the mom who rudely complained to another mom about her 2 year old who was saying ding ding to Wheel of Fortune.  Many of you acted like this child was completely undisciplined.  the OP said the child tried to whisper but forgot himself.  But a grown woman can be forgiven.  I think I'm saying we all have to live and let live a bit.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDoctorsWife
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'm not sure. Bump
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

No Idea.

Bump

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
She's at a bar and people are complaining about a laugh? Wtf lol. Where ARE these places you all speak of? We speak normal to loud here I guess cuz in a bar around here the only time you may even notice a loud laugh is.... Like 3 pm maybe lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Oh come on...you all know what to do with a 2 year old...why not a 45 year old woman?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

It's a quiet microbrewery type of place.  They sell food and gourmet beers there so it isn't a typical loud bar.  It's quiet in there.  Therefore a loud patron is noticeable.

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

She's at a bar and people are complaining about a laugh? Wtf lol. Where ARE these places you all speak of? We speak normal to loud here I guess cuz in a bar around here the only time you may even notice a loud laugh is.... Like 3 pm maybe lol.

divinedimension
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
It's rude to tell her to tone down her laugh- she can't control that. Lol.
Miranda1127
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people are just loud. We joke that dd was born w/o a volume button, but I secretly believe it. We do our best to teach her to be aware of her impact on the world, but sometimes you really just don't see it...kwim? If you feel the need to talk to this women I would just have a casual conversation. I wouldn't tell her people were complaining, I would reassure her it doesn't make me think differently of her...etc...I would just have a casual conversation and ask her if she ever noticed how loud she was. Maybe she just doesn't always realize it.

All of that said, a bar has a problem w/someone being loud? That's kinda weird. I can't imagine a bar kicking someone out b/c they have a loud laugh/voice.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM
So you're gonna tell her to laugh quieter? I'm sure she'll be sooooo comfortable then lol. I mean it's her laugh. If it's her drunk ass laugh that's one thing. That's just easily controlled. But if its her natural laugh I think it's pretty rude to ask her to contain it just to appease some uptight customers that can't handle a laugh. I'd just go elsewhere. Then again, there's plenty of bars here to pick from. Maybe that's your only bar....?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a quiet microbrewery type of place.  They sell food and gourmet beers there so it isn't a typical loud bar.  It's quiet in there.  Therefore a loud patron is noticeable.

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I think I'm saying that if she is talking too loudly she needs to tone down her voice.  Her laugh is her laugh, I'm not concerned about that.

Quoting divinedimension:

It's rude to tell her to tone down her laugh- she can't control that. Lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Take her outside until she can settle down. I kid, I kid. If she starts getting really loud, just remind that person that they aren't the only one in the building and they need to tone it down. Not much you can do about her laugh, but if she's just talking real loud, just tell her to lower her voice a little. Why tip toe around an adult, if she's being to loud, just tell her that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)