Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cps help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
My question is, durning a CHINS ( child in need of service) case with cps, can you request a jury trial for TPR instead of just a judge.

My sisters kids where taken away from her early 2011, she has completed everything that has been asked of her. She has been told numerous times that she will having a home inspection so she can do weekend home visits & no one ever does the inspection.

Also her daughter has a bad attitude and if she yells at all during visits they ( cps) ends the visit. Even if my sister is correcting her dd they make them leave because the do there visits in an office building, & they( cps) don't want the kids to upset anyone else in the building.

She has also been through 5 public defenders, they all drop her case and don't notifie her. None of them eer take her calls or return her calls. Her case worker has " forgot" to tell her about court dates.

Based on what I have told you do you think she could win a jury trial if she can have one.

( last thing, they took the kids for abuse and neglect which ave both been proven to be false but they still haven't gave her the kids back yet)
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Bump!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Please someone, anyone have any knowledge on this subject ?
MysticIceWater
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM
This is something to ask a lawyer. Also she should get letters in the mail about the court dates.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

The kids need a CASA or GAL. How old are they? 

In my state you cannot get a jury trial for a TPR. She would probably be better off with a private attorney as well. Has she received documentation on the charges being unfounded? What is their reasoning for keeping the children at this point? Were the children offered to family members first? Is there a family member willing to adopt if the state wins a TPR? She needs someone who is well-versed in the Adoption and Safe Families Act. 

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Quoting MysticIceWater:

This is something to ask a lawyer. Also she should get letters in the mail about the court dates.

In our state the parents don't. Their attorney or social worker is suppose to inform them of all court dates within 10 days of the date. As a CASA I find that I end up telling the parents most of the time. 

divinedimension
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me guess, Texas? Get her a well versed advocate, private atty whose speciality is CPS cases and a jury trial FAST!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM
The kids are 5 & 3 and they do have a casa but she has from the beginning been for TPR. Her caseworker sends her note from the team meetings but never anything about the case plain. She always says they will talk about the next step when she completes her services. Which she already has.

Also the day after the kids where removed I offered to take them, her caseworker told her I didn't qualify, but never took any info from me besides my first name, then on a different day told my sister I didn't pass the back ground check even when she had no info on me to even do a back ground check

Quoting sheramom4:

The kids need a CASA or GAL. How old are they? 

In my state you cannot get a jury trial for a TPR. She would probably be better off with a private attorney as well. Has she received documentation on the charges being unfounded? What is their reasoning for keeping the children at this point? Were the children offered to family members first? Is there a family member willing to adopt if the state wins a TPR? She needs someone who is well-versed in the Adoption and Safe Families Act. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
No good old shitty indiana. We contacted a pro bono legal group to see if they will represent her she is waiting tell Friday to find out

Quoting divinedimension:

Let me guess, Texas? Get her a well versed advocate, private atty whose speciality is CPS cases and a jury trial FAST!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)