Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you say something?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I have had a rocky relationship with my mil for the last 13 years. She wants my husband's attention constantly. She drives every one in the family crazy and all of her children have distanced themselves from her because of her behavior. Dh just goes along with her bs but she drives him crazy also. We have had periods of time that we quit talking to her completely but eventually try to mend the relationship. For the last 6 weeks she has lied to me every single time I have talked to her (a few times a week). Last time she was at our home she lied right to my face and I told her she was not being truthful and left the room. She has called me several times a week since then but I refuse to be lied to constantly. She is coming over tomorrow to bring ds a birthday gift. She asked dh today if something was wrong and why wasn't I speaking to her. He avoided the conversation. He told me to handle however I want (he supports me no matter what when it comes to mil). I feel like I should just tell her that I am not answering her calls because I don't want to be lied to every time I talk to her. I also get so tired of hearing her fake "you are so wonderful" praises when I know she only deals with me because of dh and our kids. Would you say something or just avoid the situation?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

What does she keep lying about?

teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

what is she lying about?

starlight91
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

dont know, dh cut his mother out of our lives 16 yrs ago.

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Yes. Normally dh handles his family and I handle mine. I still think your dh should be in more control because I could forsee more problems like holidays and visits but in the absence of him doing something I'd just say to her I've already told you I'm not going to be lied to so I figure we just shouldn't talk since you can't stop lying.
CatFishMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I would just avoid it but thats just me. I dont care for confrontation unless there are no other choices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Anything and everything! The last 6 weeks she was lying about what she is doing to help her financial situation. Her finances would not normally be any of my business but she complains about not being able to pay bills constantly and doesn't do anything to help herself. I offered some suggestions and she was telling ne she was working on it but never did anything. When she gets to the point of having no food, having the utilities cut off, or close to being evicted she expects dh to step in and bail her out. We are all tired of it and we try to help her but she refuses to help herself.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

What does she keep lying about?

emmypaige
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I'd just drop it. Ignoring my MIL's annoying bull has greatly improved my life. If you give in it just perpetuates the cycle of crazy.
LadyAmaranth
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Keep it all at a minimum. That's what I do with my sister who is that way.

Take all she says with a grain of salt and don't let it bug you.

Keep calls at 10 minutes, have an idea in your head of how to get off phone. Keep And if you just don't feel like answering...don't and if questioned have a reason ready.

Keep visits short and sweet.

~Hillarie~
Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic Sons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)