Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She got mad at me for making her child say please

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 609 Replies
6 moms liked this
I work in a playground at a grocery store. We have popcorn and cookies for the kids. I swear 75% of them never say please when they ask for it, about 25% of that demand it "give me popcorn". I always make them say please, occasionally I will let someone say "may I have some popcorn." Anyway a little girls mom came to get her and she said "I want a cookie" I said "what do you say" and she said "can I please have a cookie" I said "yep" and gave it to her.
The mom got sooo mad at me. She told me it wasn't up to me to make sure kids used manners. I told her I always made kids say it and I've never had a problem before. She told me some kids can't talk so that's very rude of me. I told her I do make an exception for kids who can't talk very well, but even my 14 month old knows how to sign please. We only accept two and up so the most I've come across is really shy kids. I still give them it because I know what its like to be shy.
She didnt say much more and left.

Would you get mad at me for telling your child to say please?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM
43 moms liked this

Lol, no. I would probably thank you.

Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM
40 moms liked this
My kids would have said please. Manners are important, but apparently some parents stopped caring about common courtesy.
mom2hadley
by Heather on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I would have done the same thing. My daughter is two and she knows her manners and uses them.
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM
23 moms liked this

No I would not be upset! I would be upset that someone had to tell my child! My children know better!!

Leissaintexas
2 moms liked this

They should know, even if parents don't teach it, that society expects proper behavior. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Manners matter.
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Nope, I won't give my kid anything until I hear please.  She's gotten much better about it, but sometimes she still has a little fit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

wouldn't have bothered me...

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Callie is two and has been saying please since shortly after turning 1 year. I wouldn't be upset at all.
ff-princess
2 moms liked this

goodness, I better never have to find out.  it's MY job as the mom to make sure the kids say it if they aren't on the ball themselves that day.  I can't imagine someone else having the opportunity to tell my kids to say please or thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)