Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She got mad at me for making her child say please

Posted by   + Show Post
I work in a playground at a grocery store. We have popcorn and cookies for the kids. I swear 75% of them never say please when they ask for it, about 25% of that demand it "give me popcorn". I always make them say please, occasionally I will let someone say "may I have some popcorn." Anyway a little girls mom came to get her and she said "I want a cookie" I said "what do you say" and she said "can I please have a cookie" I said "yep" and gave it to her.
The mom got sooo mad at me. She told me it wasn't up to me to make sure kids used manners. I told her I always made kids say it and I've never had a problem before. She told me some kids can't talk so that's very rude of me. I told her I do make an exception for kids who can't talk very well, but even my 14 month old knows how to sign please. We only accept two and up so the most I've come across is really shy kids. I still give them it because I know what its like to be shy.
She didnt say much more and left.

Would you get mad at me for telling your child to say please?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Replies (311-320):
Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

People who raise two year olds who don't say please are going to complain about that. They have no manners and don't put an effort into raising their children so when  you set a higher standard you embarrass them. 

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

No, I would commend you for it.

tiredme
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Nope, if I don't catch it I hope someone else does.  I always tell my dd to say please and thank you, she is very shy so I try to get her to but if she doesn't I do.

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I would not get mad. Kids need to learn manners. I am constantly reminding my kids to say please and thank you and would not mind if the person giving them something asked them to say please as well. Totally off topic though but that is awesome that yall have a playground in the grocery store lol. There has been a couple of times that my kids were so hyped up while getting groceries and I would have love to have somewhere to take them to go play and get some energy out while I was getting stuff!
mickstinator
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

nah, she was being a bitch. 

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope not at all, I would of told you not to give my kid a cookie until she said please and she better say thank you afterwards

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Same here! 

Quoting mrsfitz05:

NO. I'd be embarrassed that you had to ask my child to say please!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You're a bitch. My son was in therapy for 2 years to learn how to talk. He says please NOW, but when he was younger, "I want a cookie" was good enough, because at least he could communicate. Manners came AFTER. Who the hell are you, "making exceptions" for children you don't know anything about. Get off your high horse. "occasionally I will let someone say 'may i'" oh please. You seem to have forgotten the FUNCTION of manners, and that's compassion and good will, bitch.

aj_mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I would thank you for reenforcing the values we are instilling in our children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

i hear you!  I have done my best to make sure that my children have good manners.  I could never stand when parents have to give thier verbal children prompts.  To me, when a parent needs to say to their elementary school age child, "how do  you ask?"  or "What do you say?"  It tells me that the child really doesn't know yet.  Manners should be part of our everyday language.  Unfortunately, in our society, that is not the case.  Parents are raising thier children with a sense of entitlement.  "I want a cookie".  YOU have the cookies.  YOU owe me a cookie.

I had a situation similar to OP.  I was working in a child care center as part of a spa.  A child demanded something, and I did not respond.  My thing was "I didn't hear you ask correctly"  (I NEVER said anything about manners)  But I would think that they would have figured it out. So the mom decides to go and help herself.   BIG mistake.  I asked her, "what are you doing?"  Her answer, "It's obvious that YOU don't like my  kid.  You won't give him X."  (the kid was in 2nd grade) my response, "He didn't ask correctly.  He did not say please".  Her answer.... "He doesn't HAVE to say please".  (I'm thinking WTH?)  My response to that?  "And I don't have to GIVE him X"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)