Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Schools teaching kids to shame parents?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 658 Replies
6 moms liked this
Yesterday while sitting at a red light that changed 4 times while I just sat there I sent a semi important text to my boss and my son saw.

He gasped and said mommy you aren't supposed to text in the car! I told him he was right and I was sorry but that ms X sent me a text asking where we were and I needed to respond. I asked him where he learned that and he said his teacher told the class that if they saw someone texting they should tell them not to text in the car.

I don't really like the idea of the school teaching kids to shame their parents, I remember being taught to shame my parents for smoking and that wasn't my job or place.

I was stopped at a red light due to traffic during rush hour, nothing on my part and its not illegal to text and drive or sit at red lights and text in Houston Texas. I was not breaking any laws.

The reason I sat through 4 lights was because of traffic people. It wasn't because i had my head in my phone. Houston traffic at 530 on a week night is horrific. I sat at the light because there was a ton of cars in front of me and there is no way a turn lane will let 20 or so cars through at one time. Again the light changed 4 times because of traffic, nothing that I did or didn't do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
92 moms liked this

I have no problem with it, sometimes kids have more sense than parents.

LoveNaCupcake
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
59 moms liked this

In my opinion I wouldn't consider that shaming someone, but reminding them that it's unsafe. Also I don't know if your school does it but DD's would have a monthly visit from the sherrif and they would teach them things like no texting in the car etc.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
10 moms liked this
It's not the child's place. The parents are the ones with authority not the children.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imultracool
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
15 moms liked this
Shame you? How exactly did he do that?
HelenaHanbasket
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
20 moms liked this
We constantly reminded our Dad to buckle his seatbelt. The schools are right to teach kids safety.
Vamp
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
50 moms liked this

Well, I do think its ok because they are teching them not to do it, and to tell parents not to do it...

A parent who texts inthe car with kids needs to be shamed and even fined ...and that is not shaming, that is just telling you that you are doing something that is not right.

don't be such a cry baby!!

Good for your child!! I have read about kids telling cops their parents are driving drunk...they might be saving themselves or others....

And you should be responsible enough to no do it, even on a red light!!! SMH

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
17 moms liked this

texting and driving is illegal in my state...what you like to call "shaming" is actually calling someone out for dangerous behavior. I have no problem with teachers reenforcing no texting while driving. Hopefully when your son is old enough to drive he wont text and drive.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM
32 moms liked this

and if a parent is doing something that is unsafe to the child, I think they have the right to speak up and say so

You don't have to agree, but I don't see anything wrong with the school teaching them to tell their parents not to text and drive

Quoting Roxygurl:

It's not the child's place. The parents are the ones with authority not the children.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Freela
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see that as shaming. Probably because in our province, you can be charged if you text behind the wheel of a car. It's against the law. In that case, the kid would be in the right.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
31 moms liked this

My husband quit smoking in 1998 thanks to my son telling him what he had learned in kindergarten.  Children are honest, usually, and sometimes see what we can't or won't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)