Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I Convert To Christianity??? EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I am seriously considering leaving my LDS faith. I want more emphasis on Christ and less emphasis on Joseph Smith in my religion. Being raised Mormon, I have never attended any other church. If I go to a non-denominational Christian church, what can I expect?

Will I need to be baptized?

Do I tithe 10% of my income?

Will I have any church jobs?

What happens at the actual church service on Sundays?

ETA: For the MORON, I mean Mormon who made the post about mine, I am well aware that Mormons consider themselves Christian but I do not. I want to find a church that focuses on only Christ, not a man made church.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bandgeek521
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

A lot of the point of nondenominational churches is that each church has autonomy and is free to it's own way of doing things - there's not really a hierarchy where churches are bound together like you find in a denomination. So different nondenominational churches could be different experiences, if you get what I mean.

Good luck on your journey, though, wherever it takes you. There was a poster here about a week or so ago talking about leaving the Mormon church, and someone had posted a link for a group of people here on CM who had done the same thing - so there are women here who have gone through the same thing who you might be able to reach out to, if that might be of any interest to you. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will try and find that other post.

Quoting bandgeek521:

A lot of the point of nondenominational churches is that each church has autonomy and is free to it's own way of doing things - there's not really a hierarchy where churches are bound together like you find in a denomination. So different nondenominational churches could be different experiences, if you get what I mean.

Good luck on your journey, though, wherever it takes you. There was a poster here about a week or so ago talking about leaving the Mormon church, and someone had posted a link for a group of people here on CM who had done the same thing - so there are women here who have gone through the same thing who you might be able to reach out to, if that might be of any interest to you. :)

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Non denominational is a great choice if you want to focus on God and scripture and not what I see as bureaucracy of organized religion.

They all very as far as community and what's available look around, just don't announce it in your church just yet because they will try to stop you, if I know Mormons they will try to keep you!
bandgeek521
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM

It might be kind of buried, so here you go :)

Here's the group, too

If you're looking for input from nondenominational Christians it might get more traffic in here if you change the title to something that would catch their attention, if you get what I mean. Not that I'm telling you what to do, haha, I'm just hoping you get some more responses so you can get the answers you're looking for :)

Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for the info.

I will try and find that other post. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Lol. As a Mormon this is just hilarious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

What's funny about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Oh and btw, a lot of people DON"T consider Mormons to be Christian and after doing my own research I agree with them. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

What's funny about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

SavdNSanctified
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Well I've never been to a nondenominational church. I'm a Nazarene, so I can answer your questions based on my denomination: you don't HAVE to ever be baptized if you don't want to, although it is encouraged. You should just do it when you feel the time is right for you. You tithe whatever amount you feel comfortable with. You will not have any church jobs unless you volunteer to do something.
My church's Sunday service goes like this: We open with a prayer, we spend about 45 minutes singing praises, then we pray again, then the preacher gives his sermon, which usually lasts about a half hour or so. Then we pray again, then we're dismissed. Sometimes the preacher does an alter call at the close of service, during prayer.
2nthensome
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You don't need to be baptized.  I haven't been, although I would like to be.  No, it is not obligatory to give 10% or anything for that matter, but I know several people that do because they feel it is what's appropriate.  Most of the time, they give what they can.  You won't necessarily have any church jobs. I think most of them are voluntary.  As far as the services go, they are different for each church.  Some are more preachy, others are more music.  I would "shop around" to see which church suits you the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)