Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you actively teaching your kids to be smart about money? [POLL]

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 91 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you actively teaching your kids to be smart about money?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 180

View Results

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixV
by PhoenixV on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I  make sure she knows to save a certain amount of whatever money she gets, especially if she wants to save up for something..

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

bclassybutsassy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

well my dd is 2 so not yet but I will :D she loves "moneyssss" She actually saves coins she finds

Until I was 18 my mom and dad would take 10% of anything I eared and put into a bank account. I hated it when I was young but hen I was 18 they gave me all the money and I was so grateful... I used it as a down payment for my 1st car :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We teach our kids about money, but we also try to let them make their own mistakes.

If one wants to spend $2 on something unsubstantial rather than save it up for something else, we let them, but show them how they missed out and can do better next time.

lalaboosh
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM
My daughter has no real concept of money yet, but when she finds coins we tell her it's money and show her her little crayon bank and help her put her money in. We tell her she's saving up for a special toy. :)
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

lol, my 6 year old son does not need to be taught. He already knows.  If something breaks "that was money!"  He is stingy with money, but at the same time he will give his friends all his money.  (thank goodness the mother gave it back, he wanted ice cream from the ice cream man) 

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No...the only talking we really do about money is about how wasteful consumerism is. We talk about value and quality but we don't ever talk about money in and of itself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

absolutely. my dd opened her own bank account and deposited 131 bucks into it.  when she gets a monetary gift, she said she wants to save it

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, my kids are all grown now and have zero debt and lots of savings, I think it's REALLY important to teach kids not to get sucked into credit card and other debt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Not really, but my oldest is only 2. I guess I let her play with coins sometimes, so you could say I'm building a foundation for it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yes.  DS collects change for his piggy bank because we are saving for Disney.  When he wants something at the store, I ask if he wants to use his "Mickey Money."  He sits and thinks and the answer is usually no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)