Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you describe your relationship with your in-laws? [POLL]

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 106 Replies

Poll

Question: How would you describe your relationship with your in-laws?

Options:

Warm and close.

Cordial and respectful.

Neutral.

Distant or unhappy.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 373

View Results

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My in-laws are great, I got lucky.

PhoenixV
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We get along best when we are not near each other.

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I cant do the poll because I basically have 2 seperate sets. My DH's parents are divorced. We are very close to his dad, but we don't speak to his mom and stepdad anymore.

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't vote, there isn't a "no relationship" option.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

We were very warm and close, as I never merely looked at them as in-laws.  We were an extended family on the daily basis because neither  me or DH  would have have had it any other way. 

paytonleximomma
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I put warm and close but understand that is with hubby's dad and step mom.  I love them to death and even though the beginning of our relationship was rough I love them to death now.  His mom and step dad are another story.  I would say distant.  I love his step mom to death, we do alot of stuff together as far as go shopping and hang out together alot. In the beginning I think she wanted to kill me but she loves me know.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I guess neutral. We don't really like each other but we never say anything negative directly to one another. My husband hears plenty though and I'm sure I only hear a fraction of what they say about me from him. I'm not about to add any unnecessary drama to their already strained relationship by making an issue of my fil's insanity.
janieishappy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We respect each other and we can stay with them with no problems (sometimes)

Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I didn't vote because my answer is a 2 parter. With my MIL we are warm and close, my FIL we are cordial and respectful. 

bandgeek521
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I tried, I really tried. I wanted to have a good relationship with them. But my in-laws and I don't get along at all. I had to finally realize that the responsibility and respect involved is a mutual one, and not something I could carry or cultivate alone like I had tried to do for years by bending over backwards, trying to be as non-confrontational and considerate as possible. I realized it just wasn't getting me anywhere, that they're going to think and say and do what they want, whether it is based on who I really am or what I really do or not. So when they blew up and "disowned" me over something I didn't even do I was honestly glad to be free of it all. They closed the door, it's staying closed, it's just what's best. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)