Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was the selfish one for once and it felt good!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

My SO is driving me batshit crazy of late. He's been out of work for a little over a year....he HAS been looking, but it's difficult with no car. We cannot afford one. We live in a little town that is practically a ghost town. I have a part time job and am looking for a second one myself with no luck. But we do get out there and recycle, and the like.

But when he recycles cans and scrap metal, he often keeps the money all to himself. He usually buys himself coffee, cigarettes, and snacks. And he strongly hints around how much he wants cookies and other junk, that I refuse to buy even when I can afford it.

Money is tight yet the bills are paid, and all the basic necessities are here. (I stock up when it's on sale, shop at yard sales, thrift stores, etc to save money.)

Well today when I was cleaning out a drawer,I found a Subway gift card I forgot I had. It had a $9 balance on it. Our son is at church camp, and so I got on my bicycle and went and got me a sandwich. It is the first one I had in more than a year. I know damn well that hubby would have wanted a sandwich too but he is always selfish with money he makes instead of putting it into the household. I know it was probably wrong to indulge but I do not care. If my SO knew that Subway card was there he would have done the same thing. What would you guys have done if you were me?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JLS2388
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Your DH sounds like an ass. He doesn't have a job and the little money he makes, he spends on crap he doesn't need instead of using it to help your family. On the other hand, you used a gift card. All that gift card can be used for is a sand which, it's not like you could have put it towards your bills. I say good for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I would tell DH that the money he "makes" recyling should go to the family. If he can't help his family in this small way, he needs to go and not come home until he has a job

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I would have done the same thing if in the situation! Kudos for thinking of yourself.

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I don't fault you at all for what you did. But, I would have saved the card for my child so that I can surprise them with lunch out, especially because things must be very tight for extras in your house.

Pink.Frosting
I really need to go to bed, but I'm too tired to get up and walk back there, lol. Poo.
Yesterday at 3:52 AM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not wrong to indulge.  It's not.  The CM police try valiantly to convince us it is, but they are wrong.  Doing something nice for ourselves sometimes is perfectly fine.  Don't second guess yourself.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Went and had lunch alone. I do that quiet a bit by myself. LOL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My own DH isn't a miserly dickhead about money for OUR home. It wouldn't have come down to me feeling like I had to be selfish to enjoy something. I'm sorry he can't find work. Hope that changes for you all soon.

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I totally would have done that. Subway sounds good right now.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting JulyBabies:

I don't fault you at all for what you did. But, I would have saved the card for my child so that I can surprise them with lunch out, especially because things must be very tight for extras in your house.

Probably this.  Thankfully my husband makes sure the kids come first too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JulyBabies:

I got the $4 lunch deal,so there's enough money left on it for me to get him one the day he comes back from camp on Saturday. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN