Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What to do with dog?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My friend had to go out of town on an emergency and asked me to pet sit for her. I said it was okay. I asked her how her pet did with other dogs etc. She said her dog was fine with them.

Since her dog got her it is very aggressive and bullies my puppy and my toddler.... WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5PointedHuman
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Correct him immediately, like the moment he perks up with that 'look'. Claim your toddler as yours by standing in front of her/him and staying very calm. Do the same with your pup.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Thank you, I just want him to stop being a terror :( 

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Correct him immediately, like the moment he perks up with that 'look'. Claim your toddler as yours by standing in front of her/him and staying very calm. Do the same with your pup.

Jessie25
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Do you have a place you can contain the dog away from others? It may just need a settling period. It's in a new place with new ppl and may think its owner has abandoned it. So if you can get it in a room by itself for awhile and slowly introduce him to your family and pets, maybe that will help some.

5PointedHuman
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Just stay calm, and keep socializing him. Dogs are social creatures, it is humans that tend to screw it up lol
You'll do great :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

PookiePanda
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Put it outside.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Cage him and see if he calms down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I put it in it's kennel and it just barks and shakes the kennel. I put it int he bathroom and it's destructive. I put it in the kennel in the bathroom and barks and shakes the kennel again. I can't put it in either of the kids room and I don't want it to destroy the bed room. 

Quoting Jessie25:

Do you have a place you can contain the dog away from others? It may just need a settling period. It's in a new place with new ppl and may think its owner has abandoned it. So if you can get it in a room by itself for awhile and slowly introduce him to your family and pets, maybe that will help some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Don't have a yard :( I take them both out though. I have also tried to take them out separatly. 

Quoting PookiePanda:

Put it outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Thanks, I finally gave in for advice because I am baffled. My pup never barks and him and my son are like best friends. So this is different. 

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Just stay calm, and keep socializing him. Dogs are social creatures, it is humans that tend to screw it up lol
You'll do great :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have taken them to a neutral place before bringing them inside the home just to see how they would react to each other. What breed is the dog? How old? 

There are a lot of options. You could tether the dog to you so you can give a physical correction before it does something. Or you can crate the dog (although that may make it worse). The dog needs corrections either way.  Maybe a citronella or water vapor collar that will spray her when she misbehaves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)