Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs don't belong at the grocery store!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
3 moms liked this

Let me start by saying that I am an animal lover. I have a dog, a bunny and 2 cats. I love my animals, but there are places they should not be - like the grocery store!

I was at the grocery store picking out some peppers and I look down and see dog crap. I thought to myself, no way, this is a grocery store! I thought maybe it was a piece of produce that got stepped in (there was a smooshed part too, so it had been stepped in). Then a few feet away at the deli counter is a guy with a nasty looking dog on a leash. Poor dog was skinny and had tons of missing hair patches. It was gross. I saw an employee cleaning up the mess. I went to check out and I hear the employee telling that guy that he can't bring the dog into the store (it was not a service dog). The employee told him he'd just cleaned up dog poop and they guy said he had no idea the dog had pooped (really? How could you not know??). The guy walked away and mumbled "guess I'll go to Walmart from now on" and I wanted to say "PLEASE DO!".

The cashier said he's been told several times not to bring the dog into the store. And then as I was leaving, someone was at the service desk holding a small dog. I get that it's too hot to leave them in the car, here's a thought - leave them AT HOME!! I don't want animal feces and hair where I buy my food!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I bring both my dogs to the store all the time in their doggy stroller, wouldn't have it any other way. They ARE my babies after all =)

Just kidding. That's freaking disgusting!

SKM1119
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Unless it is a service dog...no way!  I'm seeing it more and more often.  So gross.  In the produce section too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My dog goes everywhere with me... He is a service dog though lol

M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Service dogs only. 

xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That's nasty... 

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yuck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I would have walked out without buying anything. 

Jessie25
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I have 2 dogs and want more and I totally agree with you. Leave dog at home while shopping

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Yuck
spicy_n_sweet
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM

This is something I do get a bit peeved about.

The grocery store  that I shop at most often, has people in it every day with dogs. Not service dogs, which are perfectly understandable and acceptable.  Dogs of all sizes  and shapes. There is nothing that turns me off more than walking to the meat department and seeing dogs sniffing and licking the packages. I've even seen dogs urinate in the store.  

There was a letter to the editor in a local newspaper a couple of summers ago discussing this.  The management at this particular store went on record to say that, they can not really enforce the service dog only rule.  In order to enforce it, they must ask someone who has a dog (that is not visibly distinguished as a service dog by their vest..etc) what type of service animal it is. Which they can not do, because that's illegal according to this store's management. So, they just turn a blind eye to all the dogs in the store and nothing is ever said or done about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)