Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Genetics come from BOTH parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
My SD is 7, almost 8, and is being pushed through school. Her BM switched her out of a private school because they insisted on having her repeat kindergarden to a public school that allowed her to go to first and passed her to second grade. Which is great and we were proud and excited for her success until her summer visit where she revealed she couldn't read!!! Not even simple sight words. I want to cry this poor kid is going into the second grade and can't read Green Eggs and Ham.

On top of that her entire family and new boyfriend believe it's my DH's that she has these delays! I'm pretty sure sd is a mix of both parents which means it could be from either or BOTH sides.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

They do realize that most public schools have adopted that "No Child Left Behind" and pretty much just pass them through, right?  I think they should be blaming the custodial parent, if anyone, for not working with her.

LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Her problem may not be genetically-related at all.

But, yes, both sides--that's the way it works.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
In the beginning her mom explained how the public school was going to give her het own TA to work with her one on one and always giving us updates that she was doing so great on her new school. I read to my dd every night and my jaw came unhinged she could barely sound out words in Green Eggs and Ham.

I don't like playing the blame game but how can you not notice your 7 year old can't read!?! We only get her for vacations, how can we possibly catch her up a school years worth of reading

Quoting Anonymous:

They do realize that most public schools have adopted that "No Child Left Behind" and pretty much just pass them through, right?  I think they should be blaming the custodial parent, if anyone, for not working with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

She has a slew of diagnosises that's "wrong" with her but what it boils down to is she has an Audio Processing Disorder which I don't think is genetic, but if it is it came from both of them. I really just hate that they're trying to make my DH the scapegoat, it's ridiculous

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Sounds like piss poor parenting.

Quoting Anonymous:

She has a slew of diagnosises that's "wrong" with her but what it boils down to is she has an Audio Processing Disorder which I don't think is genetic, but if it is it came from both of them. I really just hate that they're trying to make my DH the scapegoat, it's ridiculous

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM

It's just sad. She's falling through the cracks at school and at home (she lives with her mom, grandparents, and aunts). Depending on this summer we might ask to get full custody; we'll be moving into a bigger home and our public schools are rated a little higher. To be honest I don't even think her mom will fight us on switching custody to where she gets visits 

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like piss poor parenting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I have a 7 y/o ds going into first grade. He is reading simple chapter books at his age and he's just an average reader. How she got passed is beyond me. My son had journals he had to write in, books he had to read to me and I reported too easy, just right, or too hard to the teacher. We read 30 minutes every night for his book-it. He spent about an hour every night doing homework, spelling words and reading. I think mom dropped the ball somewhere.
paganmommy4
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Im sorry but a parent should know these things. The only way for children to get a head is parents TEACH THEM. Shes being dumb

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Auditory processing disorder has nothing to do with reading.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I really don't want to point fingers I'd just like to get her on track. From what she's telling me her TA reads everything to her and then explains how to do the works then helps her make the right choices on the worksheets, I don't know how that's supposed to teach her anything other then ask an adult to do it for you.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

I have a 7 y/o ds going into first grade. He is reading simple chapter books at his age and he's just an average reader. How she got passed is beyond me. My son had journals he had to write in, books he had to read to me and I reported too easy, just right, or too hard to the teacher. We read 30 minutes every night for his book-it. He spent about an hour every night doing homework, spelling words and reading. I think mom dropped the ball somewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN