Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found out my 19yo is drinking: WWYD? *update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 320 Replies

I drove to my 19 year old's college town today to help him pack up after a summer class. I told him I'd be at his apartment by 1pm, but arrived at 10am. When I got there, there were lots of beer and alcohol bottles everywhere that him and his roommates hadn't thrown out yet.

I was extremely mad and helped him pack up his stuff, and after we drove home I said we'd talk about it tomorrow. What would you do?

Update: He just came downstairs and tried to ask about where I had put something. I told him I didn't want to talk to him or see him until we talked tomorrow.

He told me I was acting immature and ridiculous and said he wasn't staying here. He took his car, which is in MY name, and said he was going to his girlfriend's. Ugh. He won't answer my calls on his cell.

Update 2: He came home from his girlfriend's around 1. I really lost my cool when he came in the house because he didn't return any of my calls all night and morning, and I said I can't believe how disrespectful and irresponsible he's become, that his friends and girlfriend are bad influences. 

He lost it and said he "can't f-ing stand it here or around you", went up to his room, grabbed his bags and left. He just sent me a text saying he's going to live in his apartment all summer and not to count on seeing him anytime soon. I'm devastated. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
29 moms liked this
Seriously? He's an adult. You don't need to approve of all of his choices, but to be extremely mad and postpone a talk until tomorrow is rather over the top. I'd tell him not to be an idiot about it and to not get a drinking ticket.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

BUMP!

liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Nothing - well tell him to clean up the apartment and remind him he wasn't raised in a barn, but other than that, nothing.  I certainly wouldn't put off talking about my expectations should he choose to drink before he's legally allowed to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that there isn't anything you should do. Just tell him not to get in trouble with it and to drink responsibly. Everyone drinks before they turn 21.

I wouldn't be concerned about him drinking, just about the amount he is drinking. Why haven't you taught him responsible drinking?
tokeahontas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll be 20 in September and just had some whiskey and beers with my mom the other day...idk what I'd do.
funnymom32
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Nothing, he's 19.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
5 moms liked this

That's the drinking age here in Canada!

spicy_n_sweet
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Nothing he's a legal adult.  I would just remind him that what he is doing is illegal and if he gets busted I'm not helping out.

My son is now 21, but I know he drank when he was 19-20 and in college.  And the above is what I told him.

Momsthename0609
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
This! Lol However the drinking age is 19 here. :/

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Nothing - well tell him to clean up the apartment and remind him he wasn't raised in a barn, but other than that, nothing.  I certainly wouldn't put off talking about my expectations should he choose to drink before he's legally allowed to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously hold back on the restraints... He's 19. Trust me you should be GLAD that's all he is doing. Don't get all huffy now because with you doing that can lead to more rebellion. Relax!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)