Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This s*** CAN NOT be legal!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 80 Replies
My best friend works at a gas station. I worked there for a couple years a while back, and I will have to say, they are the shittiest people in this world to work for. My BF works her ass off at this place, doing her job, plus others, and suddenly, she is being told that she's not doing enough, and that people are having to go back behind her and check her work like she's a little kid or something! She has been at this place for over 8 years! Never gotten in trouble, or even had a complaint. Now, out of no where, she is being told that people are complaining about her. I told her that all they are doing is trying to force her to quit, because they know if they fire her, she can get unemployment. She needs this job, because, like me, she is a single mom too on a one income household.

Now this station, they do A LOT of things illegally. She is wanting to turn them into the BBB, or whoever she has to turn them into, but she doesn't know how, or even where to begin. I told her I would help her as much as I could. These are the things that they do that are illegal, and ladies, please correct me if I'm wrong on ANY of these:

1) They make the workers pay for drive-off's that happen, or you loose your job if you don't pay.
2). They make them pay the shortages on the registers, and if you don't, you loose your job.
3). They mess with the time cards ( say you clock in at 8:45 am, and your supposed to be there at 9. They would change your time card to 9 without you knowing about it and they wouldn't tell you about it either ).
4). They made us ( when I worked there too ) sign a paper saying that we would do all that stuff, and it STATES ON THE PAPER that if we refuse to sign the form, WE LOOSE OUR JOBS.

There is a lot more stuff, but it is way too numerous to type out. If you want to know more, feel free to ask. But please, ladies, what would she do if she wanted to report them? She is tired of them treating her like shit and doing illegal stuff and getting away with it. It is a family owned business, but the family is from overseas ( they live in the US ). Please, ladies. I want to help her. Any advice is good advice.

Please ladies. I want to help her. Also, she can report them anon, right? She says that she is pretty sure she can, but I want to know for sure so I know she won't get in trouble. What all do they do when a place is reported? Do they investigate it? How does that work? Have any of you ever had to do it? If you have, what was your experience like?
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

thats messed up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Lose* your job.
tardistraveller
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

drive offs sounds unfair, but the rest sounds fair to me.  Why should they pay you for 15minutes when you aren't even scheduled to work?

SadieJames
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

The only illegal thing is the paying for drive offs.  The rest is legal. 

Report to Bbb is fine but they have no legal standing.  Report to the chamber of commerce in your county.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM
She signed a contract. It sucks, but she signed it. 8 years ago.
mattiehatter
by Mary on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Finished working at a gas station last week. I don't think these practices are necessarily uncommon. Get the when you're supposed to and try your best to be out when you're supposed to. Don't clock in early. Watch your pumps.
Trisha234
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You could report them yourself as a former employee. State Labor Board would be a good place to start.
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
There was a rule ( when I worked there. It may have changed, I don't know ) that you had to be there at least 15 minutes early to count your registers and the change box so you wouldn't have to do it in front of customers and have money every where. They would let you clock in the 15 minutes early, but then they would change your time without telling you. If you happened to get there right at your scheduled time, you got fussed on something fierce for being * late *.

Quoting tardistraveller:

drive offs sounds unfair, but the rest sounds fair to me.  Why should they pay you for 15minutes when you aren't even scheduled to work?

tardistraveller
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I see what you're saying.  Well, I start when my schedule says I start.  If they need me to start @ 8:45, they need to schedule that and pay for that.

Don't you have a labour board you can call?

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

There was a rule ( when I worked there. It may have changed, I don't know ) that you had to be there at least 15 minutes early to count your registers and the change box so you wouldn't have to do it in front of customers and have money every where. They would let you clock in the 15 minutes early, but then they would change your time without telling you. If you happened to get there right at your scheduled time, you got fussed on something fierce for being * late *.

Quoting tardistraveller:

mamabearjkda
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Tell her to go to labor and industries and report it there, that is the first stop. The BBB isn't gonig to do much until you take that first step with labor and industries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)