Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (131-140):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
My girls love making their own popsicles...

Quoting svolkov:

And blueberries/raspberries . I have those instead of popcicles. My kids love frozen fruit too

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids will eat a large bunch of bananas in one day. I can't keep them long enough to be able to make banana bread.

Their current obession is cherries, but they are actually pretty expensive. But they are sooo good

Quoting svolkov:

They didnt come in bags...thats how many bags there were after I bagged them lol. U should look at organic applesauce. And sales of frozen fruit. I have 7people living in my house. I have to buy two bunches to get bananas for bread making lol

Quoting Fjamrkr:

Only red delicious come in bags here and they're so mealy, it feels like eating sand.

Oranges and other citrus is skyrocketing because of the green tree rot nonsense going on in Florida. Grapes are over $2 a pound and my husband lets bananas go bad. So either I'm eating three bananas a day (hello, number two.) or making a ton of banana bread.

Which I don't mind. I love baking. But sometimes, I just want to not have to do squat and just enjoy some alone time playing with my daughter while she's a baby.

I may have to start really looking for sales. I know they happen in a five week cycle so I usually don't pay attention because I spend my days nursing and trying to deal with this damn thyroid issue.

Quoting svolkov:

Thats 3 bags of apples lol I made applesauce to jar too. Weird they only change their sales that often. Ours do every wed. If apples arent on sale I buy oranges/grapes/bananas(always cheap) usually frozen blueberries and raspberries. Fresh strawberries. My produce bill is cheap for everything I buy. And I buy a ton of veggies too.

Quoting Fjamrkr:

If I waited until food was on sale, we'd only eat once a month. Sales are every five weeks or so here and I'm not shopping for five weeks in one trip. Nor am I spending $10 on a few days worth of apples.

Quoting svolkov:

Only buy organic apples on sale. I only buy whats cheapest. So whatever is on special that week I buy. I just bought ten lbs of organic pink ladies for $10

Quoting Fjamrkr:

I want to know where all these people live where healthy food is cheap. $2 a pound for apples. You're spending more or less a dollar an apple.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZombieMeat
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM
A bag of black beans, 1.00, a small bag of quinoa, 1.25 and a bag of frozen peas, 1.00. BAM. A full meal.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Wrong chips 2.50 , 2 liter is 1.25 . So 3.75. Make a meal out of that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Have you priced a bag of chips lately? Like $4. A 2 liter of soda is about $2-3. You're telling me that you can't easily make a healthy meal for $6-7?

I can make a healthy meal for $5 or less. Every day of the month.

Quoting Anonymous:

by all means explain how.

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate that excuse. Healthy food really isn't that much more expensive.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
That's me...I think I'm fairly average...I'm 5'4 and around 125 lbs...

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't tell I that's you or a child in your profile pic. But if it's a current pic of you, I can see how your grocery bill is only $80 a week!

You're tiny!

Quoting LucyMom08:

What are you buying? Our weekly grocery bill is around $80 a week for a family of 4 and we eat very clean...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Beans are not a dollar here. However if you just mixed at that together it sounds gross. I'd rather eat ramen noddles.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

A bag of black beans, 1.00, a small bag of quinoa, 1.25 and a bag of frozen peas, 1.00. BAM. A full meal.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Have you priced a bag of chips lately? Like $4. A 2 liter of soda is about $2-3. You're telling me that you can't easily make a healthy meal for $6-7?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rphardwick
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Agreed. Having been in both boats though I understand what OP is complaining about. If you are on a limited weekly budget its hard to buy in bulk. I think instead of trying to regulate what people buy they should regulate the companies that make the stuff.  Its ridiculous that a 1.5 liter of soda is $.99 but a container of juice approx the same size is $3.29. Why is a pack of oreos $2.99 (regular cost) but a small watermelon is $8.99?  Some people are saying its $3.99-$6 in their area .... that's still ridiculous. If you are on an extremely limited budget there are big packs of cookies for $2.  If your on a very limited budget you are going to go with whats the cheapest temporarily. Watermelon that will last 2 or 3 days for $4-$6 or a pack of cookies for $2 that will last 2 or 3 days? KWIM?

Quoting unspecified42:

Here, too, usually, but things go on sale. Canned in cheaper, too, usually. You could have bought a couple of bags of carrots or bunches of celery for that price, too. Some produce can be expensive, but most of it really isn't. I think people just like looking for excuses sometimes.

Quoting rphardwick:

Also frozen veggies cost more than $1 a bag here. Depending on what they are they range $2-$3.

Quoting unspecified42:

Or 9 bags of frozen veggies.

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I spend sbout $400-$450 and I buy expensive meats, lots of yogurt, and whatever produce catches my fancy. I hapily spend $4 for a small thing of raspberries ( i typically buy 6-8/ week). I could easily cut it back to $300 if I had to.

Quoting Mblessesd4x:

Quoting Anonymous:

You try buying 300 dollars worth of healthy food an dmake it last a month. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Where do you live that chips are $2.50? I bought a bag of lays for a bbq last week and the price on the bag was $4.19.

But challenge accepted.

Healthy meal for 3.75

One pound chicken breast, cooked in crockpot 1.75 marked down at SAMS on the last day of sale.

Brown rice - .25? bought in large bag for about $2.50

Fresh cooked spinach .35? Bought fresh for about $2

And for about .50 you can add carrots or broccoli or cauliflower.

I have $1.00 left. I could add cheese to the broccoli or even add 1/2 pound more chicken.

This would feed all 4 people easy. Its all about portion sizes. Less meat, more veggies. Meat doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't be) the main course.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting Anonymous:

ZombieMeat
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Beans and quinoa are a complete protein and the peas would be a side dish. I think it's sad that you would rather eat a chemical laden bag of shit, instead of a decent meal.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Beans are not a dollar here. However if you just mixed at that together it sounds gross. I'd rather eat ramen noddles.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting Anonymous:

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM

When an apple is 15 cents a piece it will be feasible for a poor family to afford to eat apples. A 15c package of ramen can feed 1 to 2 people. Where i live apples are $2/pound. So it's either get around 5 apples or get 13 packages of ramen.

All-in-all I think a lot of it has to do with where people live. Some states/cities fruits and vegetables are cheaper, in some they are not. So for those who lives in areas where natural foods are more expensive it makes it quite hard for them to be able to eat healthy when the cost to ratio difference between natural and processed foods varies greatly.

Quoting svolkov:

An irradiated waxy apple is more healthy than a package of ramen lol

Quoting Kazoo22:

It's not exactly healthy when it's covered in pesticides and wax. Or the junk they spray on food to make it look ripe, but in fact is far from it.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Unless you're buying organic food, healthy, whole food is much cheaper than processed food and goes a longer way to keep you full.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Chips r $4-5 a bag here lol and beans are $1.5-$2

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting ZombieMeat:

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured