Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (191-200):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Sams is $40 per year. I definitely have made that $40 up in just one shopping trip.

Quoting craftoholic925:

it's been my experience that buying from bulk stores is more expensive, seeing as you have to pay a monthly/yrly fee to shop there.We shop at a normal grocery store...make almost everything from scratch and still our wallets take a massive hit from the grocery bill.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I dont do soy products

Quoting LucyMom08:

It's even cheaper buying vegan...haha...$2.50 for 2 meals worth of tofu...

Quoting svolkov:

I do so much with leftover roast chicken lol when you make meat not the center its easy to be cheap. I started freezing herbs in different oils(grape seed/olive etc) in icecube trays to use in soups

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

Lol I love homemade caseroll because they are always better with leftovers mixed in. another cheap dinner I love is chicken pot pie the day after a chicken dinner and that is a good one too, a whole meal for the cost of some flower and shortening.

I will have to try your seasoning idea next time its cool out (i hate making it when its so muggy) I'm always looking for ways to jazz up my rue for my sauces. ;)

Quoting svolkov:

Me too! Its yummy with ham and peas too. I use emerils creole seasoning in my sauce :)

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

I have a home made mac n cheese recipe that equals about 15 of those boxed ones and it has more protein and healthy fats calcium (natural not fortified) and the ingredients are aprox $6 to $8 for ingredients. Much healthier and you can freeze it in small containers if you make a big caseroll and have home made ready meals. Or you can just freeze the sauce in freezer bags and pour over fresh pasta and it's just like you made it that day.

Quoting Countess79:

Well that sure as shit isn't healthy! Your carbs are out of this world and so are the sodium counts

Quoting Anonymous:

We eat a lot of ramen (.15 a package) and macaroni and cheese (.50) for lunches because business is slow and my hours have been cut. I would LOVE to know how to eat healthy for so little.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Can you come up with a meal. Not snack

Quoting Miranda1127:

Simple, first don't buy soda. If tap water is not an option, spring water costs $0.99 a gal (not for 2litets). $0.26 savings right off the bat (of course I'm not doing the conversion math which would a greater savings). Now you are left w/$2.76. There are tons of options here. But since we are talking snack foods let's explore snacks. For $2.76 you can get (at the market, if you shop a produce/farmers market you would get a good deal mire fore your $) aprox. 3 cucumbers (cucumber salad), or 2-4 apples, or 2-3 oranges, or 2.5lbs if peaches, or 1lb of grapes, .....cut any of those fruit orders in 1/2 and mix w/a 16 oz tub of yogurt and you have a family sized healthy snack.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Wrong chips 2.50 , 2 liter is 1.25 . So 3.75. Make a meal out of that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Have you priced a bag of chips lately? Like $4. A 2 liter of soda is about $2-3. You're telling me that you can't easily make a healthy meal for $6-7?

I can make a healthy meal for $5 or less. Every day of the month.

Quoting Anonymous:

by all means explain how.

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate that excuse. Healthy food really isn't that much more expensive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

actually, if they just bought their own food, paid for their medical coverage, you know PROVIDED for the FAMILY they have... yeah, that would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I don't know where you've been shopping, but healthy foods are not more expensive, as a matter of fact, junk food is more expensive then buying some fresh fruit and veggies. I'm sorry, but I think you might need to relearn how to go grocery shopping.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
What ever you say.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe its because they have been raised on this processed crap and they don't know what real food tastes like?

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Sure have. Ate it every day as a kid. If that's what you will actually eat , good for you. Not everyone would.

Quoting Anonymous:

You think it is sad that people eat healthy food? I totally have a Wtf face here.

Have you ever had ramen? Its gross.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

I think it's sad people actually eat that. I don't eat roman noddles but if I had to one day I would.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

Beans and quinoa are a complete protein and the peas would be a side dish. I think it's sad that you would rather eat a chemical laden bag of shit, instead of a decent meal.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Beans are not a dollar here. However if you just mixed at that together it sounds gross. I'd rather eat ramen noddles.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

A bag of black beans, 1.00, a small bag of quinoa, 1.25 and a bag of frozen peas, 1.00. BAM. A full meal.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Have you priced a bag of chips lately? Like $4. A 2 liter of soda is about $2-3. You're telling me that you can't easily make a healthy meal for $6-7?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My SO can do that...I love it...

Quoting rphardwick:

Another problem is people simply not knowing how to shop/prepare food. My sister can pull amazing dinners for very little out of her ass! Ingredients I've never even heard of! If they made some kind of home economics class mandatory for graduation in high school that might help solve some of that issue.

Quoting opal10161973:

I find that buying fruits and veggies in season is the cheapest way to go. Right now, berries are considered in season, so they will be on sale. We just got 2 pounds of strawberries for $4. I will buy extra and flash freeze them for later, too. That way, we can thaw them for later or use them in smoothies.
Quoting rphardwick:

Ya know I don't even know what they cost. Its not my kids preferred treat so I don't bother with them unless they have them on sale ... you can get a couple of bunches of them for around $1.50 when they are sale. They prefer apples(cheap), oranges(moderate), strawberries (which are ungodly expensive here too), cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, pineapple and kiwi.

They all need to move to the tropics!

I'm not complaining though. My kids would choose fruit over chocolate and thats a good thing obviously.

Quoting ZombieMeat:

Bananas are a very cheap snack.

Quoting rphardwick:

We eat frozen veggies or fresh veggies. We are big salad eaters too. I don't have an issue shopping healthy but that hasn't always been the case. The grapes were just an example. It was one of the snacks I bought this week. There was a time when I would have needed to stretch that $9 for snacks all week instead of just for a day or 2 and junk would have gone further.

Quoting unspecified42:

Or 9 bags of frozen veggies.

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM
We have an herb garden! Lemon basil is super good. I like basil /rosemary in olive oil. Its very good for chicken stock. Also sage and cardamom together is good. My son did one with mint and cilantro thats pretty awesome!

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

I have to pass that ice trick on to my son he wants to be a chef and I bet he will love that. If you have any examples of really good combos I will let him get started right away. He loves experimenting but with fresh herbs (other than the ones he grows himself) his bad combos get expensive. He is working on perfecting his bean soups and homemade chicken stock right now so is perfect timing.

Quoting svolkov:

I do so much with leftover roast chicken lol when you make meat not the center its easy to be cheap. I started freezing herbs in different oils(grape seed/olive etc) in icecube trays to use in soups

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

Lol I love homemade caseroll because they are always better with leftovers mixed in. another cheap dinner I love is chicken pot pie the day after a chicken dinner and that is a good one too, a whole meal for the cost of some flower and shortening.

I will have to try your seasoning idea next time its cool out (i hate making it when its so muggy) I'm always looking for ways to jazz up my rue for my sauces. ;)

Quoting svolkov:

Me too! Its yummy with ham and peas too. I use emerils creole seasoning in my sauce :)

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

I have a home made mac n cheese recipe that equals about 15 of those boxed ones and it has more protein and healthy fats calcium (natural not fortified) and the ingredients are aprox $6 to $8 for ingredients. Much healthier and you can freeze it in small containers if you make a big caseroll and have home made ready meals. Or you can just freeze the sauce in freezer bags and pour over fresh pasta and it's just like you made it that day.

Quoting Countess79:

Well that sure as shit isn't healthy! Your carbs are out of this world and so are the sodium counts

Quoting Anonymous:

We eat a lot of ramen (.15 a package) and macaroni and cheese (.50) for lunches because business is slow and my hours have been cut. I would LOVE to know how to eat healthy for so little.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM

This should really make you hate me I also got 6 cents a gallon in fuel points and it was a day they double points.lol

Quoting rphardwick:

I think I hate you!

Quoting Anonymous:

I just bought a seedless watermelon today for 2.99 it was huge and we still have some leftover after my large family got ahold of it.lol  I am in Iowa.

Quoting rphardwick:

Wth! How much is a seedless watermelon there? $8.99 here and its small, like basketball size. And where is "there"? I'm in central Missouri

Quoting LucyMom08:

I paid $4.79 for 2 pounds of red seedless grapes today...

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM
If I buy chicken or meat I use it all. Veggies I normally have. But I'm asking of I only had x amount of money and need a meal that nihjt. I know how to portion out food , not everyone has a family of 4.
Quoting Anonymous:

That is a meal i can buy entirely. What you do with the rest of it goes to other meals. Why would you count things purchased for other meals?

Don't you meal plan and buy the chicken and the spinach and rice and the other veggies with plans with what to do with them?

You probably eat too much meat if it's bigger than a deck of cards.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

I'm asking for a meal you had to buy completely. Not what you had on hand. One pound of chicken wont feed my family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live that chips are $2.50? I bought a bag of lays for a bbq last week and the price on the bag was $4.19.

But challenge accepted.

Healthy meal for 3.75

One pound chicken breast, cooked in crockpot 1.75 marked down at SAMS on the last day of sale.

Brown rice - .25? bought in large bag for about $2.50

Fresh cooked spinach .35? Bought fresh for about $2

And for about .50 you can add carrots or broccoli or cauliflower.

I have $1.00 left. I could add cheese to the broccoli or even add 1/2 pound more chicken.

This would feed all 4 people easy. Its all about portion sizes. Less meat, more veggies. Meat doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't be) the main course.

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Quoting Anonymous:

Easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting svolkov:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN