Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I want to know where all these people live where healthy food is cheap. $2 a pound for apples. You're spending more or less a dollar an apple.
tonesofhome
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM

what is this " clean eating"???

a new fad, i suppose, if it means, no processed foods, well, then yeah i eat clean, i am so out of the loop

Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Go to farmer's markets, buy in season, make everything from scratch, buy in bulk
ProudMommaBear
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this

and YOU tell that to MY grocery bill 

We used to buy almost all unheathy food except the occcasional fresh fruit

over $200

NOW

we buy MORE healthy food, fresh fruits/veggies meats, cheese etc

LESS than $200

so please excuse me while I go eat my healthy food. lol

you have to be a smart shopper.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell that to my grocery bill.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate that excuse. Healthy food really isn't that much more expensive.

CafeMom Tickers
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this
This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Veggies and meat /fish/chicken mostly. and some fruit. seeds and nuts. our grocery bill is 600 a month between my fiance and I and our toddler. we have allergies and cant have pastas or bread or rice or things that usually are cheaper and save money.

Quoting LucyMom08:

What are you buying? Our weekly grocery bill is around $80 a week for a family of 4 and we eat very clean...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
5 moms liked this
Obviously you can buy stuff like pot pies, pizza, tv dinners cheaper than what it costs to make it from scratch, but the thing is, when you make it from scratch, you have left overs. Actual left over food that can be used for another meal and left over ingredients to make more meals with. Once you build up your staples, all you really need is meat and produce. Produce is usually cheaper fresh than frozen anyway. It seems expensive to begin with, but it's cheaper in the long run since you already have what you need instead of repeatedly buying crap for every meal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

by all means explain how.

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
It costs more if you buy the same amount, but I have found I don't need to eat the same amount of healthy foods as I would junk in order to feel full. When I first began eating whole healthy foods it was unsatisfying, but it has become just fine for me. I grew up on junk food so I know it is cheaper for a box of ho hos(about $3 for 6) than a mango($7.50/lb here). But I could just as easily get a bag of frozen mango for $2 that is equivalent to a fresh mango. You do pay more but not THAT much more overall.
momof4in29
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It's because some people shop according to sales and but nothing that isn't on sale and most are vegetarians or fruitarians lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)