Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Oh and as far as Grapes go I got two bags of seedless green grapes for $2.49 each.

Quoting rphardwick:

Wth! How much is a seedless watermelon there? $8.99 here and its small, like basketball size. And where is "there"? I'm in central Missouri

Quoting LucyMom08:

I paid $4.79 for 2 pounds of red seedless grapes today...

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

flashbranding
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Uh, idk but we eat fruits and veggies and VERY little junk food and my grocery bill went down when we did that. Only fruits, veggies, meats, no chips, no little Debbie or sodas....

Last week my grocery bill was 135 bucks. This week we bought all healthy foods and my bill was 84 bucks. I think people just use it as an excuse to keep eating junk food
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Not and avoid GMO food

Quoting justinnaimee:

The only way junk is cheaper is with serious couponing. Amy person who is willing to follow a recipe can feed a family healthy food inexpensively
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
If I waited until food was on sale, we'd only eat once a month. Sales are every five weeks or so here and I'm not shopping for five weeks in one trip. Nor am I spending $10 on a few days worth of apples.

Quoting svolkov:

Only buy organic apples on sale. I only buy whats cheapest. So whatever is on special that week I buy. I just bought ten lbs of organic pink ladies for $10

Quoting Fjamrkr:

I want to know where all these people live where healthy food is cheap. $2 a pound for apples. You're spending more or less a dollar an apple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

where do you live? i'm in california. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What ?,here healthy food is actually quite cheap,I can two bags filled with fresh fruits and veggies for less than twenty dollars...This is what I buy

Apples

Carrots

Oranges

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Watermelon

Celery

Brocoli

Grapes

Strawberries

ETC ETC you get the point,where we live junk food is actually really expensive and yes I do buy some of it for my Kids lunches,a bag of doritos is close to $5,I don't eat junk food though.

julie515
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I hear you.
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
How much do you want to bet that prepackaged food and box meals are littered with gmo? Not to mention synthetic chemicals.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not and avoid GMO food

Quoting justinnaimee:

The only way junk is cheaper is with serious couponing. Amy person who is willing to follow a recipe can feed a family healthy food inexpensively
HotMommaStout
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Fruits and vegetables are very inexpensive for the most part. Can't afford organic? Scrub it with baking soda, rinse with vinegar and then water and peel if applicable. Buy frozen chicken tenderloins and tilapia because they are inexpensive. Canned tuna? Pasta is dirt cheap and so are rice and beans. Eggs are inexpensive as well and so are cans of frozen 100% fruit juice. Whole wheat bread is just as cheap as white, Jelly sweetened with fruit juice is just as cheap as junk jelly, and non hydrogenated peanut butter is the same price as hydrogenated. You don't get much cheaper than a can of quick oats either. There is just no excuse for buying junk because it is "cheaper".

Midsummerdawn
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I don't understand this. Junk food costs much more than real food... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

If you know how to shop, you can get healthy food for about the same. A big part of eating healthy is not buying the cheap prepackaged foods and make your own stuff from scratch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)