Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy brown rice, dried beans, peas, fruits, vegetables, and cheap proteins like eggs.

Costco is a great place to buy in bulk. I get huge bags of frozen organic veggies for $5 each and they last over a month.
Fjamrkr
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
I can only find red delicious in the bag. And I don't do red delicious. Tasteless and mealy. Gross.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I buy bags of apples...much cheaper that way...my kids can hoover some fruit, haha...

Quoting Fjamrkr:

I want to know where all these people live where healthy food is cheap. $2 a pound for apples. You're spending more or less a dollar an apple.

km1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I find the opposite is true. The more healthy we buy the less it is.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Quoting ProudMommaBear:

and YOU tell that to MY grocery bill 

We used to buy almost all unheathy food except the occcasional fresh fruit

over $200

NOW

we buy MORE healthy food, fresh fruits/veggies meats, cheese etc

LESS than $200

so please excuse me while I go eat my healthy food. lol

you have to be a smart shopper.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell that to my grocery bill.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate that excuse. Healthy food really isn't that much more expensive.

Yes.  Plus if you are eating nutritious food, you need less to not get hungry between meals.  Seedless grapes - sure have a small handful.  Meat - 1/4 lb per person per meal.

Everyone's idea of portion sizes is way off the map hence the obesity problem.  Not to mention, if you just don't buy sodas, bottled drinks, juice boxes, grated cheese (grate your own), packaged snacks - you will save a LOT right there.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
A 15 lbs seedless watermelon here is $3.99 I'm in s texas.

Quoting rphardwick:

Wth! How much is a seedless watermelon there? $8.99 here and its small, like basketball size. And where is "there"? I'm in central Missouri

Quoting LucyMom08:

I paid $4.79 for 2 pounds of red seedless grapes today...

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

rphardwick
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

My son has been nagging me to get some watermelon but $9 is so expensive! I stick with apples and oranges mostly because they are more affordable when shopping for a family of 6. Thankfully here we have the 5 for $25 meat section. The packs of meat are large enough to be my family's meal for 1 night so I can actually buy dinner for semi cheap but the fresh fruits just kill me!

Quoting Anonymous:

I paid $3.99 for a seedless watermelon here Today.

Quoting rphardwick:

Wth! How much is a seedless watermelon there? $8.99 here and its small, like basketball size. And where is "there"? I'm in central Missouri

Quoting LucyMom08:

I paid $4.79 for 2 pounds of red seedless grapes today...

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

around here its junk food is cheaper.. and healty cost alot.. yes i do make some stuff from scrach and stuff like that..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

We eat pretty decent (when we eat at home) and I usually spend about $50 a week for me and my daughter on food and household things that we need. Veggies aren't expensive (fresh or frozen), you can always grow some in a garden or in pots, I buy chicken breasts when they are on sale and freeze them. I found 20 oz of ground turkey on sale for $1.99. Bought 3 and froze them.  We don't eat beef or pork. Yogurt is fairly inexpensive. I buy strawberries when they are on sale and freeze them for smoothies or other things. Buy cheese when its on sale. Probably the most expensive thing that I buy every week is milk which is now a little over $4 a gallon!

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Yep...our taco night ends up being about $2.50 per person...and it's vegan tacos...we go all out with the veggies...

Quoting svolkov:

This. Processed crap is way more. I can make a full meal for what youd pay for a bag of chips and a soda

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate that excuse. Healthy food really isn't that much more expensive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I think from what it sounds like its more what area people live in. I literally moved to where I am because healthy food was cheaper. I grew up in orange county.... Oh my god, is it expensive to be healthy in orange county....

our grocery bill is about 150 per week, for dh and I and our toddler. we eat healthy and when we started to it ended up a lot more expensive.

Quoting flashbranding:

Uh, idk but we eat fruits and veggies and VERY little junk food and my grocery bill went down when we did that. Only fruits, veggies, meats, no chips, no little Debbie or sodas....

Last week my grocery bill was 135 bucks. This week we bought all healthy foods and my bill was 84 bucks. I think people just use it as an excuse to keep eating junk food

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)