Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lets make healthy food expensive, and crappy food cheap but expect poor people to buy healthy expensive food!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (531-538):
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Yes, and potatoes definitely help stretch the food budget because they are so filling. 

Quoting shaynaj1980:

I always snicker whenever I hear this "potatoes are not healthy" myth. There's no such thing as an unhealthy fruit or vegetable. One medium-sized potato has 110 calories, is fat-, sodium- and cholesterol-free. It has more potassium than a banana, providing 18% of the recommended daily intake, 45% of your RDI of vitamin C, 2 grams of fiber (8% RDI), 10% RDI of vitamin B6 and 6% RDI of iron.

Potatoes are fantastically healthy and extremely versatile, not to mention generally quite cheap as a staple and lasts for months if stored properly. DH and I buy a 20lb bag of potatoes for roughly $5 - $7 and we store it in the vegetable bin. Now I understand that's not possible for everyone, of course, but it works just fine for us, because we buy fresh produce on a weekly basis so it stays just fine on the regular shelves. Anyway, those 20lbs of potatoes last us about 3 months.

Some of the prices you list below seem inexpensive to me, but that's probably because I am Canadian and produce seems to generally be more expensive here than in the United States. Personally I've never bought baby carrots for more than $1/bag, but that's because we never buy them unless they're on sale. $3/bag is the regular price here though, for a 1lb bag that is.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Here you can get chips for $1.50 for a bag and 5#'s of potatoes are $4.99.  We go through 1/2 a bag for one meal and honestly potatoes are not healthy!!

Chicken can run about $3 a pd here and we need 2lbs for one meal. 

We don't buy cookies so can't say there.  Baby carrots are $3 a bag here. 

Raspberries are $4 a pint

Blueberries are $3 a pint

Apples are $1.29 a pd.

Pears are around $1 a pd. 

Ground beef - $3.29 a pd for 75% lean

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Healthy food isn't more expensive. Let's say chips are $4.39 for a 14oz bag. I know that's the regular price, I'm staring at a bag. 

For $2 I can buy a 5# bag of potatoes to make mashed potatoes, homefries, french fries, chips, baked potatoes and more. 

I can buy chicken drumsticks for 99-cents a pound, or fried, pre-packaged chicken for like $3 a pound. 

Baby carrots are 99-cents a pound, cookies are $3 for a package.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 68 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I agree in a way...the fruit prices aren't bad around here...but when we have junk food in the house that tends to be gone for first and the healthy stuff sits and rots...

I think some has to do with portion control and making things that will last (like soups and things that can be froozen and used later) like when I was talking to my sister who I stay with (its me, her, my dad, and dd) she was like "do we look like we can make chicken and save it we eat a whole  chicken" (yes we are all fatties, except dd she is active and usually gets small portions so it hasnt caught up with her yet) and yes sadly we have been known between the four of us to eat a whole small chicken...

around here meats can easily cost 5 dollars or more and I am currently trying to look into ways to save money and make meals last since I am about to be on a limited budget due to plans to go back to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I don't get food stamps to help us out at all. So, I have to buy whatever food I can afford and yes the healthy stuff is expensive so I have to buy the cheaper stuff that's how you make a budget work.

alc4evermom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Healthy food doesn't cost more.  People who say it does lack imagination.

amarrah877
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

It depends on what food you are buying, if its certified organic, then yes a little pricy at times. There are other ways to eat healthy. You have to develop the behavior, its little things first. Always get fruit at the peak of the season. I just paid 8.00 for cherries, I had to have them. I have read a article recently that had really gave me food for thought. To make better choices of what goes into the body.

WHAT'S IN YOUR KITCHEN? Seriously, what do you have to eat in your house? Many of us have a lot of PROCESSED FOODS. What you used to think was good 'vitamin and protein' food may not be in your foods anymore. Be sure to READ & SHARE what some processed foods may cause --> http://bit.ly/194HVEF
ritchhartm
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM

If there's stuff your family eats a lot of SAMs is a good place.  The annual membership is $40, but I think it is probably worth it.  I'm sure Costco is good too, but I'm not a member there so not sure about their prices.  I know people shop a Aldi's too, but I don't go there much.  You'll also get things cheaper and fresher if you go to a u-pick and pick it yourself, but that's more work obviously.  I usually got to a blueberry u-pick each year.  If I had more freezer space, I would really stock up on them.  They are much cheaper if you pick them yourself and they are bigger and taste better as well. 

Quoting rphardwick:

I always wondered where people shop that healthy food is cheaper than the junk. I paid $9 for a bag of red seedless grapes today. I could have bought a lot of unhealthy junk snacks for $9.

craftoholic925
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
right...so what you're saying is...I still have to pay for my groceries...before I can pay for my groceries??? That still doesn't make sense to me...
Quoting Anonymous:

Sams is $40 per year. I definitely have made that $40 up in just one shopping trip.

Quoting craftoholic925:

it's been my experience that buying from bulk stores is more expensive, seeing as you have to pay a monthly/yrly fee to shop there.We shop at a normal grocery store...make almost everything from scratch and still our wallets take a massive hit from the grocery bill.

Diane1223
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

This is not a new concept....but not all healthy food is expensive....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)