Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Appropriate Age to Stop Breastfeeding?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In your own opinions, what age is too old?  When does it become, well...creepy?

My opinion: Before the child KNOWS he is sucking a BOOB. My 3.5 year old knows what a boob is, so I'm going to guess 3 years old.

How about you guys?  What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
When the kid wants to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:37 AM

whenever the fuck you want. 

kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM
When the mother and child feel ready, though if I was uncomfortable with nursing I would probably still pump and give from a cup for as long as possible.
lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM
My family is harassing me about this right now. My son turned 1 at the end of may and even before he was 1, my mother was already harassing me about when I'm gonna stop. It's almost a daily thing. "when are you gonna stop??" Gets on my damn nerves! UGH!! I don't feel like I'm gonna go to 2, but I'm not really too worried about forcing him to stop now that he's one. I'm trying to slowly give him more and more solids to the point where he just doesn't want to nurse anymore. He's already only nursing to sleep and if he gets REALLY cranky.
petie1104
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Just tell mom that according to the AAP that 2 is the minimum.

I stopped at 18 months with yds because he chose to stop, but knowing that the AAP and WHO both say a minimum of 2 helped keep family off my back about it.

To the original question, whenever mom and baby decide to stop.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

My family is harassing me about this right now. My son turned 1 at the end of may and even before he was 1, my mother was already harassing me about when I'm gonna stop. It's almost a daily thing. "when are you gonna stop??" Gets on my damn nerves! UGH!! I don't feel like I'm gonna go to 2, but I'm not really too worried about forcing him to stop now that he's one. I'm trying to slowly give him more and more solids to the point where he just doesn't want to nurse anymore. He's already only nursing to sleep and if he gets REALLY cranky.

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Quoting kmorales7690:

When the mother and child feel ready, though if I was uncomfortable with nursing I would probably still pump and give from a cup for as long as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I would say 4 year olds for boys and 3 year olds for girls. 

paganmommy4
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

TWO.. THEY KNOW AT TWO. 

IF THEY CAN LIFT YOUR SHIRT UP AND HELP THEMSELVES

Ginnygurl97
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM
I recently started weening son and he is 6 months. I'd go to a year MAX if I didn't have to go back to work. But I'm definitely going to continue pumping. I'd probably pump for as long as I could.

Quoting kmorales7690:

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:57 AM
I agree.

Quoting asaffell:

Whenever the mother and child deem it so. Nobody else's opinion matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN