Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Appropriate Age to Stop Breastfeeding?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In your own opinions, what age is too old?  When does it become, well...creepy?

My opinion: Before the child KNOWS he is sucking a BOOB. My 3.5 year old knows what a boob is, so I'm going to guess 3 years old.

How about you guys?  What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Im all for bf. dd & ds self weaned at 13 months. My yds is 11 months. Im fine with going to 2, personally. However I feel after 3 is more comfort than nutrient. If they're pumping then fine, but on the boob is just odd....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM
I stopped breast feeding my son when he turned one. My mom taught me that way and I just did what she did. A 1yr old doesn't need breast milk anymore. That's why they can eat solids by then. That's just me and no way in hell was i gonna keep breast feeding my kid after a year old.
chunkyhoney78
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:21 AM

My youngest son self weaned at 2 1/2 yrs old I would have been ok if the went till 3 but thats my choice and I think its up to the mother and child how long they should go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:24 AM
1 mom liked this
You're supposed to stop nursing??
Damn it, I better call my mother up and cancel breakfast for tomorrow!
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Whenever the child seems its a good time to stop.

My daughter weaned at 21 months.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:45 AM
2 is my minimum age. No max age really. I allow self weaning, for DD, that was 26 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd could lift my shirt as an infant. She'd even try and grab my boob to position it. It was so cute.

Quoting paganmommy4:

TWO.. THEY KNOW AT TWO. 

IF THEY CAN LIFT YOUR SHIRT UP AND HELP THEMSELVES

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Whenever the child naturally weans. Somewhere between 2 and 7 is the average age for weaning world wide.
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

I stopped breast feeding my son when he turned one. My mom taught me that way and I just did what she did. A 1yr old doesn't need breast milk anymore. That's why they can eat solids by then. That's just me and no way in hell was i gonna keep breast feeding my kid after a year old.

Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Breast milk never stops being beneficial. It doesn't go bad after a certain age. The AAP recommends breastfeeding until age 2 minimum.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)