Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Appropriate Age to Stop Breastfeeding?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In your own opinions, what age is too old?  When does it become, well...creepy?

My opinion: Before the child KNOWS he is sucking a BOOB. My 3.5 year old knows what a boob is, so I'm going to guess 3 years old.

How about you guys?  What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Oh well, thats them not me. I never heard that before.

Quoting LaughCryLive:Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

I stopped breast feeding my son when he turned one. My mom taught me that way and I just did what she did. A 1yr old doesn't need breast milk anymore. That's why they can eat solids by then. That's just me and no way in hell was i gonna keep breast feeding my kid after a year old.

TheMetal
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I stopped when they wanted to stop, which was around 1 for them. I know at some point it goes from an issue of nourishment to an issue of comfort (a 4 year old wanting to breastfeed is generally doing so as a means of comfort, especially when their diet should consist of the necessary nutrients).

To each their own, really. I've never seen any good evidence that suggests that prolonged breastfeeding produced a negative impact on the child. If my children wanted to breastfeed past 2, however, I would not have been OK with that because they weren't babies, to me, anymore at 2 and breastfeeding is something that really only mentally works with me with babies as they are young and helpless and need their mother's nourishment. By two both of my children could just about feed themselves just fine.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Maybe you should read a book.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LaughCryLive:Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

I stopped breast feeding my son when he turned one. My mom taught me that way and I just did what she did. A 1yr old doesn't need breast milk anymore. That's why they can eat solids by then. That's just me and no way in hell was i gonna keep breast feeding my kid after a year old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because most toddlers don't eat a perfectly balanced diet. THEREFORE breastmilk is ideally continued for a MINIMUM of 2 years.  Solid food also doens't provide any immunities to any diseases. Breastmilk does. In fact breastmilk FROM the breast (for those that think pumping it and putting it in a cup is the same) will CHANGE based on the saliva of the baby and any infectious agents present-the MOM'S immune system will produce antibodies for the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM
sorry but LOL

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

1 minute after their 2nd birthday. No more tit.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Duh

I know all the benefits. Nurses my dd until she was 4.5 years old.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because most toddlers don't eat a perfectly balanced diet. THEREFORE breastmilk is ideally continued for a MINIMUM of 2 years.  Solid food also doens't provide any immunities to any diseases. Breastmilk does. In fact breastmilk FROM the breast (for those that think pumping it and putting it in a cup is the same) will CHANGE based on the saliva of the baby and any infectious agents present-the MOM'S immune system will produce antibodies for the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Uh okay whats your point? My son is three now. No need for breastfeeding now.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM
This has been recommended since my 6 yr old was a baby. Try educating yourself on some basic parenting issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

So your son somehow managed to have a fully mature immune system 2 years early? How did they find out about that anyhow?

So what does he drink? Water? Fruit juice?

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM

1-2 years is plenty long enough to me.

if you want to keep that up, pump and put it in a sippy cup, same nutrition as long as YOU are eating healthy. 

A lot of moms say its because breast is best, but how many keep a clean healthy diet when the kid is bigger??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN