Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Appropriate Age to Stop Breastfeeding?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In your own opinions, what age is too old?  When does it become, well...creepy?

My opinion: Before the child KNOWS he is sucking a BOOB. My 3.5 year old knows what a boob is, so I'm going to guess 3 years old.

How about you guys?  What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Replies (41-50):
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM

What is A&P?

when I had my son many years ago it was recommended to go to one year, I did 18 months. I don't think I could ever breast feed for 4 years....but that's just me. My son didn't get sick until he started kindergarten...

TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I don't know how long this baby will nurse, but I.know I will be very sad when it is time to stop. I just want him to nurse until at least 2.
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM
I think she means AAP.

Quoting ZennMomma:

What is A&P?

when I had my son many years ago it was recommended to go to one year, I did 18 months. I don't think I could ever breast feed for 4 years....but that's just me. My son didn't get sick until he started kindergarten...

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I don't know what that is either....

geez, I feel old, like an old mom that doesn't know anything lol

my son is 11.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I think she means AAP.

Quoting ZennMomma:

What is A&P?

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM
I personally would stop at a year. It becomes creepy for me at 2 yrs old.
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Whenever mom and baby are ready to stop.

My son will be two in August and still nurses about three times a day.
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM

When Mom and/or baby are ready.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM

There is no specific age, IMO. It's when the child decides to wean. 

lovelyladybump
by Tasha on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM
My parents are the same way. My son just turned one on Sunday & they've been harassing me since he was about 6 months old. It's annoying.
Right now he only nurses when we first wake up in the morning, and right before he goes to bed.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

My family is harassing me about this right now. My son turned 1 at the end of may and even before he was 1, my mother was already harassing me about when I'm gonna stop. It's almost a daily thing. "when are you gonna stop??" Gets on my damn nerves! UGH!! I don't feel like I'm gonna go to 2, but I'm not really too worried about forcing him to stop now that he's one. I'm trying to slowly give him more and more solids to the point where he just doesn't want to nurse anymore. He's already only nursing to sleep and if he gets REALLY cranky.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Wow.
Maybe try being less of a bitch? Just because someone doesn't know all that you do doesn't make them uneducated. Not every pregnant woman ran out and bought "What to Expect when Expecting" the second they found out they were having a child. Also, even the people who do know the benefits of breastfeeding until at least 2 don't nessesarily follow those guide lines, and that's OKAY.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

This has been recommended since my 6 yr old was a baby. Try educating yourself on some basic parenting issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh okay whats your point? My son is three now. No need for breastfeeding now.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Maybe you should read a book.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh well, thats them not me. I never heard that before.

Quoting LaughCryLive:Then why does the A&P recommend until a minimum of 2 years?

Quoting Anonymous:

I stopped breast feeding my son when he turned one. My mom taught me that way and I just did what she did. A 1yr old doesn't need breast milk anymore. That's why they can eat solids by then. That's just me and no way in hell was i gonna keep breast feeding my kid after a year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)