Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you loan a 16 year old $$$ for a Plan B pill?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: If asked for a loan to buy Plan B, what would you do?

Options:

Yes, unconditionally

No, unconditionally

Yes, after getting parental permission

Yes, even if the parents disapproved

Speak to the parents and let them handle it

Other (comment)

I would purchase it for them myself

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

So I'm sure you want the backstory...

I'm 41, married, 14 year old DS and 10 year old DD so they are not quite at the age for me to deal with this yet. I've been spending a couple of days a week with my 23 year old niece and her boyfriend who live in a tight knit hispanic neighborhood helping them watch their 1 month old as she gets treatment for PPD (cleaning the house, cooking meals and so on).

Today, a neighbor girl who is about 16 came in and told my niece that she was having sex with her boyfriend last night and the condom broke. Her boyfriend doesn't get paid until next Tuesday and she needed to borrow $50 for the Plan B pill. My niece didn't hesitate to give it over and she and I both explained what the pill did, what it was for, when to take it, etc.

So my question is... if you were in a similar situation, asked by another parents' teen to be loaned money for Plan B, what would you do?

This is assuming that you trust that they will spend it where they say they will and that they will pay it back.

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Yes I would. And I would try to encourage her to also go to a PP or something similar to get on birth control right away. That way between condoms and bc there's likely less chances of this happening again and bc is cheaper in the long run than lots of broken condoms. 

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM
n/a i guess. plan b pill is free here. if i were in that situation though, yes I'd loan her the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM
No hesitation if i had the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM
As a teen I was pregnant by an abusive person who held me captive for a long time. Yes I was kidnapped.If plan b was an option then I would have done whatever to get it. I would help someone in a split second to prevent the anguish I went through .
LADYxGHOST
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM

My only concern is that if she is that aware of it, has she already taken it before? The Morning after pill is dangerous when taken too close together.  I would take offer to take her to a free clinic so she can get on the pill.  If it was my DD, I would be upset she didn't come to me, but I would be glad she had someone to turn to to assist her. I disagree with the Morning after pill being used as a back-up plan. it should really be used only for rape cases. If you are sexually active and not wanting to get pregnat, you should be on some form a birth control youself and not rely on condoms. I would speak to the young woman about other birth control options available for her. I know in my state my 13 year old can get birth control, morning after pill (with dr perscription), condoms, abortions without my concent or knowledge.  At her last chek-up I had her doctor speak to her regarding the privacy laws and what she has to tell me and what she can tell me if my DD concents and what she can not tell me if my DD states not too. I want my dd to know it is her body and her choice and though i would like to be there for her regardless, that is her choice too. I know so many young woman out there are not given the same respect from their parents and i would hope someone in their life will give them the support and assistance they need.

ashellbell
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Absolutely. I'd also offer get a ride to planned parenthood or the local health department to get on birth control.
TheMetal
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Four implies that you spoke to the parents.

Quoting gigis1:

Is 1 and 4 the same?
TheMetal
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM
She claims that she has never taken it before and her mom does not know she is having sex. We explained these things to her and she was a little to shaken to be receptive to conversation regarding contraception options at the time so my niece told her to return when she is ready.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

My only concern is that if she is that aware of it, has she already taken it before? The Morning after pill is dangerous when taken too close together.  I would take offer to take her to a free clinic so she can get on the pill.  If it was my DD, I would be upset she didn't come to me, but I would be glad she had someone to turn to to assist her. I disagree with the Morning after pill being used as a back-up plan. it should really be used only for rape cases. If you are sexually active and not wanting to get pregnat, you should be on some form a birth control youself and not rely on condoms. I would speak to the young woman about other birth control options available for her. I know in my state my 13 year old can get birth control, morning after pill (with dr perscription), condoms, abortions without my concent or knowledge.  At her last chek-up I had her doctor speak to her regarding the privacy laws and what she has to tell me and what she can tell me if my DD concents and what she can not tell me if my DD states not too. I want my dd to know it is her body and her choice and though i would like to be there for her regardless, that is her choice too. I know so many young woman out there are not given the same respect from their parents and i would hope someone in their life will give them the support and assistance they need.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM
This.

Maybe.....

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I might not hand over the cash but I would buy it for her and give it to her.

BellaByrdie
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM

YES!!!!!!!! Absolutely.  Better to give her the money for something to prevent the pregnancy than for her to get knocked up at 16. 

I would talk to her about getting some birth control.  I would help her find a place to go especially if she didn't want her parents to know.  When I was 21 a family friend was 16.  She asked if I would help her get birth control.  Her mom was a nut so I did.  I took her and gave my phone number if they needed to reach her for an emergency. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN