Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone dealt with hospice care? UPDATE he passed away June 26th.

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 149 Replies

My boyfriend is really sick and his doctor has decided that it's time to stop chemo and just try to focus on quality of life. He's in the hospital indefinitely right now while they try to get some things under control but when he gets out we're going to have to talk about hospice care with his doctor.
Does anyone have any experience with this? He's completely in denial about how sick he is so I'm trying to figure out how to even bring all of this up with him let alone what hospice care actually entails so any experience or advice would be helpful.

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maria1613
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Hospice care can be whatever you want it to be. Where i work our hospice is just comfort care. Keeping our resident as comfortable as possible, giving pain medication as needed. Supporting the family. There's generally a meeting to set up what is wanted and what is not wanted
maria1613
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. Best of luck to you guys! :)
daisybaby91
by lipstick on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Oh wow... Hugs :(
My mom is a hospice nurse, her job is to basically make the person as comfortable as possible and be there for the families. She gives pain medication as needed and helps the families know what to do when she isnt around. She likes to encourage her patients to eat whatever they'd like and spend time with loved ones.
Im so sorry that you have to go through this girl. If you have any questions i can ask my mom anything for you feel free to pm me.
Ashley_Carlson
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My DD was on hospice, but it works differently with infants. 

How it worked for her is she was assigned a doctor who prescribed all of the meds she needed as soon as she needed them. She had two nurses that came out daily to check vitals and determine if an adjustment to her meds was needed. She also had a respite nurse (not associated with hospice) who came by three times a week to give me a break so I wouldn't go insane from exhaustion and stress. 

HousewifeNina
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Will it be in.home? Or in.patient?
Hospice can last a really.long time so it isnt always just very end of life(though was for my mom.)
It was a huge blessing to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Didn't your boyfriend already die? I could swear you posted a while back about your boyfriend dying.

Fishy.
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I thought so too, or was that a different mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

Didn't your boyfriend already die? I could swear you posted a while back about your boyfriend dying.

Fishy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I'm like 90% sure it was this mom.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I thought so too, or was that a different mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

Fishy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Bump
missmamaof4
by Miss Mary on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM
This is so sad:( I don't know but here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured