Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Prenatal Down syndrome testing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
Did you have the blood test to screen for Down syndrome?

I did, I wouldn't have aborted if it was positive, but it was negative so I didn't have to worry.

My cousin just had a beautiful little boy who has Down syndrome. She chose not to have the prenatal testing done, because it didn't matter.

I totally understand her reasoning for not needing it, but now that her son is born she's dealing with the shock and disappointment of having a Down syndrome child rather than being happy she's got a healthy child.

I feel like if she knew this was a possibility from the beginning then she could focus on today being a happy day welcoming her child into the world.

I think this baby is going to be such a blessing and while there will be some adjusting he couldn't have been born to a more loving family. We are all so excited to have this baby here!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I had all the screening done. It wasn't because I was considering abortion, I never would unless someone was going to die from the birth. I did it more for the knowledge so I could prepare myself in case.

liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I skipped it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaballet
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
No, it wouldn't be a shock or anything so it didn't matter one bit.
heyyou13
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I did and it was positive. I have a beautiful 9 month old dd that does not have downs. Those test are not accurate 100% of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Did you have an amnio?

My doctor explained it as being a screen; which would need more invasive follow up to confirm a positive.

Quoting heyyou13:

I did and it was positive. I have a beautiful 9 month old dd that does not have downs. Those test are not accurate 100% of the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I skipped it.  I would not have aborted, anyways.

I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy, not worry or be put through rounds of tests or false positives (which happen a fair bit with prenatal testing).

One of my children was born with a birth defect (correctable with surgery - she is fine:)  )  I am glad I did not know. it would not have changed the outcome and would have stressed me out.    

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yes I did and my last 2 pregnancies were positive for the triple screen test. I had further testing done and all things pointed normal. I continued the pregnancies and both children were born without DS.

IloveNCIS
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Never did it, I was never supposed to have a baby so when I got pregnant, I was very happy. It wouldn't have mattered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM
It would be a shock. Just the flood of emotion and all the what ifs...

Quoting lalaballet:

No, it wouldn't be a shock or anything so it didn't matter one bit.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I had the NT scan and the bloodtest at 13wks. I got the results yesterday, including gender.

A healthy baby girl. 

That screening is not just for T21 (Down's). It's also for T13 and T18.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)