Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

guns *changed font color*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

We have loaded unlocked guns all over the house.  We are teaching our kids gun safety and they know guns are NOT toys.  I could leave a gun laying out and they would not touch it. (Not that I would cause THAT would be stupid) We have let our 8 yr old and 4 yr old shoot a gun (with assistance) and plan to get them their own rifles when they get old enough.  We believe if you take the mystery out of things they will not have the desire to play with it to find out what it is and we have never had an incident where they grabbed a gun without supervision.  We do not leave guns laying about in the open.  They are well hidden out of child reach and the children are educated to tell an adult if they happen to find a gun.  Knowledge is power.  And what good does a gun do you if it's locked up and unloaded if someone breaks in?  Yeah I'm gonna tell them "Hold on a sec lemmie unlock my gun and load it so I can defend myself."  The cops around here even told us once to shoot THEN call the cops.  We get a lot of flack for teaching our kids that guns can be good clean fun but are not play toys and should be respected as the possibly dangerous tools they are.  I think NOT teaching them would be a disservice to them and put them in danger should they find it not knowing what it can do, whether they are at home or someone elses home.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
metalmomma86
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM
you lost me at the horrible green font. cannt read it on mobile.. good luck with whatever tho...
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
You can do all that with them securely locked in a safe.

If any children besides your own are in your home then you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt. Gun safety isn't just about you and your children. It's about protecting anyone who might come into contact with you, or break into your house while you are gone.

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
We're pretty much the same way except my younger two kids have not been taught to shoot yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

my gun is ready to go in a quick access safe. i could have it in hand in under 10 seconds. I'll take that risk to be sure my kids NEVER have the chance to test their teachings. ours learn about gun safety and shoot for fun.  but you shouldn't have them out and unlocked.

LoveNaCupcake
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I stopped reading at, we have loaded unlocked guns all over our house, I agree with teaching kids proper gun safety and protocol, however I do not agree with being an irresponsible gun owner. I was always taught that the gun should be unloaded, locked and put in a gun safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM

We do take measures for things like that.  We always let Friends know we have guns before they come over and ask if they are ok with it.  If not we lock them in our safe.  And we don't leave any pistols in the house when we are gone, and we hide the rifles.  in fact my DH has a CCW and conceal carries everywhere he goes except work.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

You can do all that with them securely locked in a safe.

If any children besides your own are in your home then you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt. Gun safety isn't just about you and your children. It's about protecting anyone who might come into contact with you, or break into your house while you are gone.

-_-
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
That's stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyokrys
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Right on mama

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Like I said we don't leave them just laying out in the open.  they are hidden and out of reach.  I can barely even reach them but it's a lot faster to get to than the safe.  We live out in the country and my husband works late in the night.  I wouldn't feel safe if we didn't have it easy for me to get to.

AMRios
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a gun in the house and the kids do not even know it is there... They have several BB guns which they use with my husband often and they know they are not allowed to touch it when Daddy is not home... They have never tried to get it without premission... Our gun is put up but not locked up and has 2 full clips... My husband deploys and wants me to be ready if I need it... I agree with you about the robber not waiting for you to go unlock your gun, load it and then just let you shoot them... You walk in my house and I pop, pull and bang! You won't walk out... :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)