Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is This Really A Tradition?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

So, I'm not in America.

I was just reading a post in another area that said 'do you smash your wedding cake into each other or feed it to each other?'

So seriously, do you guys actually do that?

We just cut the cake together, get our pieces and share it out to the guests... Lol.

Please shed some light on this!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Some people do that, but it's definitely not a tradition. I would have kicked my husbands butt had he done that. 

ETA: Now yes, the feeding the cake to each other is definitely a tradition. I only previously comment on the smashing it in each others faces. That part is not a tradition.

missmamaof4
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM
It is for some people! I told my husband I would punch him though if he did that to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Some people do, I think it's becoming less popular now. Traditionally you feed your spouse the first piece, it shows your promise to care for each other, but some people just smashed a whole piece in to their partners mouth instead.
lga1965
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:02 AM
I don't think so. They do it in movies. I hope its not in real life. It looks stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmr520
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Cutting the cake is a symbolic act of eating together in US. Not sure where it came from its about taking care of each other. Some couples feed eachother the first bite nicely, while others have fun and get messy. Its kind of the start of the party here. You Tube for some videos to see how each couple does it different. DH and I were nice about it.
SAnders224
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this
We didn't do it. I find in silly to possibly ruin the dress and tux plus hair and makeup for a piece of cake
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I do not think of it as a tradition. The cutting of the cake I do. I will never understand the idea of smashing cake in each others face. I find it disrespectful and in poor taste. (no pun intended).

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM
I wouldn't call it a tradition, more a trend. We did not do it because we feel it's disrespectful. Not to mention my grandma, who is very big on ettiquite, would have a cow!
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We did NOT do that. It's traditional to get a small piece and give your spouse a bite. Lately it seems more common that the couple smashes the cake in each others faces. I think it's tacky.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the cake smashing is so gross and tacky. We went to a wedding a few years ago where the bride and groom were practically rolling around on the floor, smashing the cake all over each other. It was so tacky!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN