Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foodstamps - HELP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

Okay, I don't get foodstamps, which is why I need your help. I just needed an exciting title to get you in here - sorry if I got you excited !!

I need some cheap, healthy meal ideas.

I have $100 dollars to spend on groceries for 2 weeks.

That is 14 dinners, 4 lunches and 4 breakfasts. for a family of 3.

DS is allergic to red dye and he's on a diet, because he's over weight. I'm pregnant so I need to be focused on eating right and this week will be tight. It's not usually this rough, but my babysitter was in a jam and needed an advance. I usually have about 150 to grocery shop, but I had to pull some money from food and some money from gas in order to do the advance. That 50 usually covers produce...

So - recipes please??? Thank you

We like lots of fruits and veggies, turkey and chicken..

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Mrsdmore25
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM
The best thing to do is make casserole type meals. The basic recipe is to use a protein source + a complex carb (keeps you fuller longer) + a sauce + assorted veggies. For example canned tuna + whole wheat pasta + frozen/fresh/canned peas, peppers (assorted colors), carrots, and/or broccoli + cheese sauce (you can use 2% cheese with a little milk and flour). I also made a basic soup and added different veggies every day so it was like eating a different soup every night. The sky is the limit on possible combinations! Grocery stores are ALWAYS running BOGOs on frozen veggies. Check out your local farmer's market for awesome deals on produce. A lot of times if you explain your situation they will be willing to work with you on the prices. For ultimate nutrition, choose fresh first, frozen second, and canned stuff last. I hope I helped a wee bit...lol. Good luck and good health!

The trying to be short and thorough nurse

If you message me with your ingredients, I'd be happy to put together recipes for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thank you. I always see moms on here suggest soup and to be honest, the only soup I'm any good at making is Chicken noodle and veggie soup. I'm going to have to look up some recipes. I like to be able to throw dinner together in 20-30 minutes, which is how I got sucked into convenience foods, which caused my son to be over weight. He needs to lose about 20 lbs and he's already lost 5. 20 lbs is ALOT for his age though. I'm trying to get this weight off of him before school starts in August. We've got 2 months to get this done!

Quoting Mrsdmore25:

The best thing to do is make casserole type meals. The basic recipe is to use a protein source + a complex carb (keeps you fuller longer) + a sauce + assorted veggies. For example canned tuna + whole wheat pasta + frozen/fresh/canned peas, peppers (assorted colors), carrots, and/or broccoli + cheese sauce (you can use 2% cheese with a little milk and flour). I also made a basic soup and added different veggies every day so it was like eating a different soup every night. The sky is the limit on possible combinations! Grocery stores are ALWAYS running BOGOs on frozen veggies. Check out your local farmer's market for awesome deals on produce. A lot of times if you explain your situation they will be willing to work with you on the prices. For ultimate nutrition, choose fresh first, frozen second, and canned stuff last. I hope I helped a wee bit...lol. Good luck and good health!

The trying to be short and thorough nurse

If you message me with your ingredients, I'd be happy to put together recipes for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured