Reasons to go to the ER instead of your PCP. (edit in red) (edited again in green)
- Your water just broke. In some hospitals you have to go through ER before L&D
- You cut off your finger/hand/foot/ear/other appendage with a kitchen knife/chain saw
- Its now 1 am and your 3 month old has spiked a fever of 104 that is not coming down with tylenol
- You've been shot/stabbed
- You were in a motor vehicle accident
- You or your child is running a fever, puking violently every few minutes, and are unable to function
- There are many other ER worthy reasons these are just a few
Seriously though, a friend of mine who I truly care about is taking her son to the ER right now because she SUSPECTS an ear infection. He's running no fever, but isn't eating well and is pulling at his ears.. Pretty indicative of an ear issue for sure. But not ER worthy.
If it is after hours/weekend and it something that CAN NOT WAIT by all means take yourself/child to the ER/Urgent Care. If you have to wait more than 1 day to be see and are in extreme pain, please go to the ER/Urgent Care. The point of this post is about people who ABUSE the ER or don't pay their bills making insurance premiums go up and wait times longer for serious issues.
So what are some crazy reasons you, a friend, or someone on "FB" has gone to the ER over?
So I just messaged her to see how he was doing since she updated her status saying she was finally home.. Turns out he's teething but she doesn't like that diagnosis so she's taking him in to see the regular doctor Monday. I love her to death but she sorta makes me want to facepalm after I told her to take him to see his regular doctor, not the ER this morning. :/