Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Reasons to go to the ER instead of your PCP. (edit in red) (edited again in green)

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 715 Replies
6 moms liked this
  • Your water just broke. In some hospitals you have to go through ER before L&D
  • You cut off your finger/hand/foot/ear/other appendage with a kitchen knife/chain saw
  • Its now 1 am and your 3 month old has spiked a fever of 104 that is not coming down with tylenol
  • You've been shot/stabbed
  • You were in a motor vehicle accident
  • You or your child is running a fever, puking violently every few minutes, and are unable to function
  • There are many other ER worthy reasons these are just a few

Seriously though, a friend of mine who I truly care about is taking her son to the ER right now because she SUSPECTS an ear infection. He's running no fever, but isn't eating well and is pulling at his ears.. Pretty indicative of an ear issue for sure. But not ER worthy.

If it is after hours/weekend and it something that CAN NOT WAIT by all means take yourself/child to the ER/Urgent Care. If you have to wait more than 1 day to be see and are in extreme pain, please go to the ER/Urgent Care. The point of this post is about people who ABUSE the ER or don't pay their bills making insurance premiums go up and wait times longer for serious issues.

So what are some crazy reasons you, a friend, or someone on "FB" has gone to the ER over?

So I just messaged her to see how he was doing since she updated her status saying she was finally home.. Turns out he's teething but she doesn't like that diagnosis so she's taking him in to see the regular doctor Monday. I love her to death but she sorta makes me want to facepalm after I told her to take him to see his regular doctor, not the ER this morning. :/

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
4 moms liked this
There is a girl that is on my fb that literally takes her kid to the ER for everything. Ear infections, colds, etc.

I guess she must have Medicaid, or doesn't pay her bills.
KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Here Medicaid will only allow 6 ER visits a year. But I can't imagine wrecking my credit by not paying the bill for something minor like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a girl that is on my fb that literally takes her kid to the ER for everything. Ear infections, colds, etc.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to go to the ER when I got mastitis on a holiday weekend because our urgent care place doesn't see women earlier than 8 weeks pp and my regular dr wouldn't be open for three more days. It was annoying, but I wasn't about to suffer miserably for days when I could get antibiotics in a few hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM
As far as I know, it's unlimited here. I'm not 100% sure though.

Quoting KanPsMommy:

Here Medicaid will only allow 6 ER visits a year. But I can't imagine wrecking my credit by not paying the bill for something minor like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

That's crazy, we have unlimited er and dr visits with my DS Medicaid plan.

Quoting KanPsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

pregnantmama105
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

anything to do with my son (especially when he was under a yr) i took him to the er... (brething issues, or chest infecttions... he was born early)

3kidz123
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I stepped on a fish hook and coulldn't pull it out myself but it was after offices were closed and it was one from a house I just moved into so I went to get it out and get a tetnus shot (I hadn't had one in over 7 years).

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a holiday weekend. There was no regular doctor open to see you. And of course, I sure wouldn't expect you to deal with that type of pain over the weekend.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I had to go to the ER when I got mastitis on a holiday weekend because our urgent care place doesn't see women earlier than 8 weeks pp and my regular dr wouldn't be open for three more days. It was annoying, but I wasn't about to suffer miserably for days when I could get antibiotics in a few hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
4 moms liked this

I've seen people come in for head lice, belly button lint, and the tiniest scratches you've ever seen. Tons of "I have a cold" and "I think my child has an ear infection" and "I have a sore throat." And I love it when they come in for symptoms that have resolved, they "just want to get checked out anyway."

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
People.look at me like I'm crazy when.I go into the er. I'm type one diabetic and sometimes have to go in to the er for abnormally hig h or low sugars. I don't look sick but I could die from it. I get shit looks because I get called back before a lot of them do too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN