Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to choose who to make happy - my best friend of 20 years or my husband- help! ***updated in OP***

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 239 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am the matron of honor in my best friend of 20 years wedding this October.  She is having her bridal shower, followed by her bachelorette party, on July 20th and I had told her I would be there, I had a family reunion that day and something else I was invited to but her bridal shower is more important to me.  My husband is leaving on July 12th for his Army National Guard annual training,  and coming home on July 28th.  He will be a little over an hour away but I wont get to see him at all for this two and a half weeks. I found out a few days ago that the FRG is putting on a family day cook-out on July 20th for us to go up to the base and see our soldiers for the day, and the time of it is yet to be determined. I was so upset when I found this out because now I have to choose between going to my best friend's bridal shower and doing my matron of honor duties or choose going to the base for the one opportunity I will have to see my husband in two and a half weeks!  I want to see my husband.  That is what I would choose if only my feelings were involved, but when I mentioned it to my best friend yesterday she was sort of mad at me about it.  :o/  My husband really wants me to come, but he wouldn't be angry with me if I didn't.  I told her, she will have sixty-some people at her bridal shower, my husband only has me, if I don't go, not only will I have to go the entire 2 1/2 weeks without seeing him, he will also have nobody there on family day. What would you do??

***Update***

So here is how everything played out.  I found out, finally, what the details were for this BBQ.  It is a 100th anniversary for the base that they will be on so there is a huge celebration going on, a parade, concerts, food, etc.  What is happening with their battery is that they are going to be in the parade at 10 a.m. and then after the parade at approximately 11 a.m. they will be dismissed for the day and they don't have to be back until the next morning.  So what is going to happen is my DH will drive home after he gets dismissed and I will go to the bridal shower beforehand to help set up and I'll stay for the bridal shower and perform all of my matron of honor duties.  The bachelorette party is immediately following the bridal shower, so depending on how long the shower goes for, I will either leave for home right after the shower or go to the bachelorette party for an hour or so and then go home and spend the evening/night with my dh. Both of them wish i was  spending the whole day with them but are satisfied enough with the arrangement that they aren't upset.

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EricaG87
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

bump!

SJG1013
by SJG on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM
3 moms liked this
I would try and split the time up. Go, but just not the whole time.
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM
15 moms liked this
I would be going to see my husband. He ALWAYS comes first. It's just a bridal shower... she'll live. It's not like you're ditching her for something trivial. I would never want my husband to be standing alone without his wife right before he left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
km1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I would visit my husband.

littledoggie
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting Snapdragon88:

I would be going to see my husband. He ALWAYS comes first. It's just a bridal shower... she'll live. It's not like you're ditching her for something trivial. I would never want my husband to be standing alone without his wife right before he left.

This.  My husband comes first. :)  Maybe you could catch up with your friend later that night after the family day.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I'd be with my  husand. I understand she's upset, but she needs to realize that this is important, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
If she was a true friend she would understand if you missed her events to be with your husband.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM
5 moms liked this
Your friend only gets married once. Dh will be fine. Maybe you can have someone take the kids to see him?
EricaG87
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Thanks ladies, I wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out in left field on this one.  I will wait and see what time th cook-out is and if it's at a time where I can split the time then I will, but if it's not then my husband needs to come first.

Heidi615
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

If both weren't an option then I would definitely be there for my husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)