Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women's locker room. Am I out of line, here?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 669 Replies
7 moms liked this

I have a 5 yr.old son. He is in swim lessons at the local rec. center. Lessons are co-ed, and age ranges 4-8 yrs. old. The other boys in the class come with their dad. I take ds into the women's locker room shower and change after. Because the other girls are in there, I take him into the large handicapped shower stall and we get ready there. I make sure the girls are dressed before we exit. Despite all this, one of the mothers bitches every lesson to her girls, 4 and 7, about the boy in the room, how they need to stay covered, there's no privacy...etc. I don't get it, since we always go in first and wait to leave until they are ready. I'm not going to send ds into the men's locker room alone to shower and dress. Am I out of line here? If not, I'm going to say something.

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
29 moms liked this

I don't think you're out of line. If he was older, maybe, but he's only 5.

casah4
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM
56 moms liked this

I think you're being more than reasonable here. I wouldn't send a 5yo alone into a locker room full of strangers. 

michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
The Y where we used to live had special needs locker rooms, which is where you had to go if you had an opposite gender child to get ready. Where we go now, the boys are allowed until age 6, then they have to go in the men's room. If they need help, you can ask one of the male swim instructors. By age 6, my oldest was fine alone. My youngest still goes with me, he's 4.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM
19 moms liked this

Your son has no business in the women's locker room.  Sorry, I'm not advocating him going in the men's but he certainly doesn't belong in the women's and I would not be happy about it either.  FTR  I have two sons and we always changed in the car.

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I think your out of line frankly 5 is old enough to do what he needs to but that's just me sorry
gabyangy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM
18 moms liked this

I wouldn't like it either that a boy is in the womans locker room.  But I also would not allow him in the Mens locker room by himself either.  Can he just take a shower when you get back home?  I think that is what I would do. 

lalalamama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd send him with the other boys and their dads in the men's change room. That's what I did with mine. Tell him to skip the shower. If he takes too long just ask one of the staff to go in and take a look or call out in the doorway ( I did that many times!)
I walk around nude in locker rooms and it is uncomfortable to have a school aged boy stare.
cmeeso
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
3 moms liked this
No family washroom?
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Boys are allowed in our locker rooms up to the age of 9. Should they be? I don't know. Lots of naked women but it does not bother me. I will get dressed in a shower room if someone has their kid in there.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't see a problem since you make sure no one is naked or in mid dress when he goes through.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured