Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Supply lists, is your list ridiculous?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 382 Replies

This is the supply list for my kids in the fall. What do your LO's supply lists look like? 

Who's kids are all finally done with school and ready for summer break? Today was the last day for my kids. We are ready to get this summer started now. 

2nd Grade 

Large book bag 

1 dozen #2 pencils 

(sharpened) 

Small box of 24 

crayons 

Scissors (Fiskars 

children’s) 

6 Glue sticks 

1 Bottle of Elmer’s 

glue (8 oz. - white)

2 Large pink erasers 

1 Highlighter 

1 Blue 2 pocket folder 

1 Yellow 2 pocket 

folder 

Art smock 

1 Canister wet wipes 

(antibacterial 

wipes) 

2 Dry eraser markers 

1 Clean sock 

Last name A – L small 

Zip Lock bags 

Last name M – Z 

Large Zip Lock 

bags 

3 – 4 books you can 

read on your own 

A healthy snack daily 

Please label all items!

Kindergarten 

Items with * need to be labeled with Child’s 

name 

*2 boxes(16 count) Crayola Crayons (not 

fluorescent or neon) 

1 pair of Fiskars scissors 

5 #2 yellow pencils (sharpened) 

10 glue sticks 

*1 oversized t-shirt to be used as a smock (an 

old shirt of mom’s/dad’s works well!) 

4 Dry Erase thin black markers 

2 Yellow Highlighters 

Boys: 1 box Ziploc Baggies (gallon size) 

store brand is fine 

Girls: 1 box Ziploc Baggies (sandwich size) 

store brand is fine 

1 Clorox Wipes and 1 Baby Wipes refill pkg. 

1 spacemaker hard cover pencil box 

*1 large backpack – to be brought on first day 

of school 

4th grade 

5 – Folders 

3 – Marble Composition Notebooks 

1 – Red (ELA) 

1 – Green (Science)

1 – Black (Math) 

1 – Blue (SS) 

1 – Folder of your choice 

1 – Package of Dry Erase Markers 

1 – Sock or Eraser 

1 - Zip Up Pencil Pouch 

2 – Highlighters 

1– Glue Stick 

1 – Package of Crayons or Colored Pencils

2 – Package of Pencils 

1 – Packages of Loose Leaf Paper 1 – Package of Pencil Top Erasers 

1 – Package of Post-It Notes

1- Blue 1 Subject Spiral Notebook 

1- Green 1 Subject Spiral Notebook

These supplies will be required by all 4th grade teachers: 

 WIDE RULED loose leaf paper 

 #2 Pencils and erasers 

 Scissors - Fiskar work best 

 SMOCK - for Art 

 Soprano Recorder and Pocket Folder for Music 

 NO TRAPPER KEEPERS PLEASE!

1- 1 INCH BLACK BINDER

***Edit: Just because I used the title as ridiculous doesn't mean I do not buy all the supplies on the list. I do however think it is BS that the schools expect the parents to supply the classroom with all these needs on the list. I see all these teachers saying they have to buy a lot of their classroom supplies out of pocket, but guess what you knew this going into being a teacher. NOT everyone can afford little extras for the classrooms. I do think it is ridiculous that my kids are always getting notes sent home saying that I need to send in more crayons/ glue sticks/ dry erase markers/ Clorox wipes/tissues a few weeks after I just sent that stuff in. I am a single mom on a tight budget with 3 kids now going to school. 

We all pay school taxes and what the schools decide to do with the money is not the parents fault. Teachers pay taxes I get that but you are the ones who complain about the parents who do not want to "share" supplies or supply the classroom with the supplies. Obviously a ton of parents do not agree with these ridiculous lists, and some do not care. 

In my kids school their are not little white boards for each student. There is however flatscreen TVs in all the classrooms and hallways. I live in an rich upper area and pay higher taxes, so they chose flatscreen TVs over supplying the classrooms. I am sure that my kids school is not the only one that does that. 

I'm a tattooed, free spirited, CIO, circumcision, delayed vax, pro-life, anti flu shot, hiking, beach bum, early potty training, snuggling, video gaming, art therapy, natural remedies, natural health, Jesus is my home boy, Artist, sarcastic mom!

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeyEinstein
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Crayons, glue, etc...

My friends and I are going to make a school supply cake to give the teacher first day of school. Even though the lists you posted seem long they are not costly considering all the sales around back to school time.
debbie26
by Debbie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM
We haven't received ours yet but we have one child and she's Going into second grade imma look online now cuz I'm curious
Sarahb21
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't seen my kids lists yet. Usually they aren't too bad though. My SS's list can be pretty frustrating though because they are extremely specific on what brand and type of everything. I can never freaking find half of the stuff! My soon to be 2nd grader has needed a painting smock 2 yrs in a row now. They have never used them and I've never gotten them back at the end of the year. Im not buying one this year if its on his list.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Nope, sounds looks very similar to my daughter's school supply list when she was in grade school.  She used composition notebooks too for her different classes.  They glued the worksheets in the pages.  Love the sock idea as an eraser for the white board.  I didn't see white boards on the list.  I guess the teachers have them for the kids.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I havent looked at my kid's list either. I usually don't buy the supplies the week before school starts. The apartment complex that I live in provides 90% of the supplies but we never know what they are giving us until basically the week before it starts. 

A few of the things I will purchase are: left handed scissors for my daughter. (They supply scissors but only right handed). I also buy her the left handed spiral notebooks. They are more expensive but it helps her write without getting the indentations on her arms form the spiral. 

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Oh I know, just used that for the title to get people in :)
Quoting HeyEinstein:

Crayons, glue, etc...

My friends and I are going to make a school supply cake to give the teacher first day of school. Even though the lists you posted seem long they are not costly considering all the sales around back to school time.

I'm a tattooed, free spirited, CIO, circumcision, delayed vax, pro-life, anti flu shot, hiking, beach bum, early potty training, snuggling, video gaming, art therapy, natural remedies, natural health, Jesus is my home boy, Artist, sarcastic mom!

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM

No, not at all. Here is a combination of both a 1st grade and a 6th grade list. (I combined them for shopping). I don't find it bad at all and I've already got some of the stuff from previous years and I've started buying some of the things on the list with each shopping trip. I'm a little over halfway done. Starting on unifoms next. 

6 manila folders
3 packs of wide ruled loose leaf paper (at least 150 count)
1 pack of binder index dividers
50 sheet protectors (plus one more pack)
1.5 inch white binder with clear front pocket
1.5 inch blue binder                                  
1 inch white binder with pockets
1 Stuart Hall or Mead composition book
2 pencil sharpeners
3 yellow highlighters
6 packs of #2 pencils
2 red ink pens
1 box of Crayola markers
1 box of Crayola color pencils
1 cheap pair of headphones
1 pack of dry erase markers
3 packs of 3x5 index cards
1 pack of rubber bands
2 pack of sticky notes
4 vinyl pocket folders with clamps (2 red, green, 2 yellow , 2 dark blue, orange)
3 boxes of 16 count crayons
1 pair of safety scissors
2 (4oz.) bottles of glue
2 large erasers (white)
1 pack of multi colored construction paper
1 pack of copy paper
2 marble compostions (wide ruled)
3 one subject wide ruled compositions
2 large boxes of Kleenex
2 zipper pencil bags (not plastic)
1 activity booklet (word search, coloring book, etc)
1 pack of skinny dry erase markers
1 box quart sized Ziploc bags
$5.00 art supply fee
$15.00 ID fee
$5.00 planner

Donation items:
3 boxes of Kleenex
1 large bottle of hand sanitizer
2 canisters of Wet Ones

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

we homeschool but we do buy a lot of the same things asked for by the schools around here. So far all I've gotten though is their curriculum. We got a lot of leftovers from last year though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I would be so happy to get a list that said we had to label everything. I hate the communal school supply garbage. We have the general list and its pretty good. We won't get the actual list from the teachers until back to school night.
MonkeyPeanut79
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be if I let myself buy everything I want to (we homeschool). I love school supply shopping! It's so nice to start out the school year with new folders and pens and pencils and crayons :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)